iPhone 4 32GB and massive 3G-tethering issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RamGuy, Sep 17, 2011.

1. RamGuy, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I'm starting to get sick and tired of all my iPhone 4 3G-tethering issues.

I have an Apple iPhone 4 32GB, and all iPhone 4's sold in Norway are unlocked and ready for tethering out of the box. I've got a mobile subscription which includes mobile broadband (3G) with 5GB each months which I mainly want to use with my MacBook Air 13" 2011 model and MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model, both running Mac OS X Lion.

First of all I wanted to use wireless tethering, but this proved to be rather difficult, if not impossible to achieve. The first problem is the fact that in 9 out of 10 cases neither my MacBook Air nor my MacBook Pro is able to pick up my iPhone 4's wireless tethering in the first place. It simply won't show under wireless connections.

When it finally shows, it refuses to accept connections completely. With the correct password I'm met with "connection timeout" and all that nonsense.

So then I moved towards using Bluetooth instead of WiFi, but then another issue occurs as my iPhone 4 wont accept neither my MacBook Air or MacBook Pro as allowed Bluetooth device, I'm met with a "*computer name* not supported" message on my iPhone 4.

Last option is bringing along the USB-cable all the time, and this have worked for my MacBook Air.. But for some awkward reason even USB tethering wont work on my MacBook Pro, it just wont recognize the connection whatsoever.

How is it that either wireless nor bluetooth wont work at all? (WiFi might work for time to time) and even USB wont work on my MacBook Pro?

I thought this might be because of I was running iOS 5.0 BETA, but this has been a problem with everything from BETA1 throughout to BETA7.

What is going on? How come I can tether from a Samsung running Android OS and not my iPhone 4 with iOS?

2. blesio macrumors regular

Strange, I didn't have any problems on my Windows computers and mobile phones, everything works just fine.

How did you get beta 8 already?

3. RamGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

RamGuy