Iphone 4 32gb Factory Unlocked??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applemessiah, Aug 24, 2011.

1. applemessiah macrumors member

I might be purchasing a few new iphone 4 32gb in sealed boxes. Guy says they are factory unlocked and can be used with any sim card. He says he has one he is currently using with tmobile. Any way i can figure out if it they are factory unlocked before i purchase??

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

ask for the receipt. i believe the IMEI number will say 00000000000 if it's unlocked

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Check the back of each box. In the USA, there should be no Carrier sticker on the lower center part of the sticker. The AT&T units all have AT&T on the bottom of the big sticker.

In addition, there will be no ICCID numbers on any of smaller sticker on the lower back of the box. This is because the Micro-SIM is not included in the retail packaging of a factory unlocked iPhone 4 packaged for retail in the USA.

Other countries, have slightly different packaging, what country or market are you looking to purchase in?

Just a strong word of caution, there is a big difference between factory unlocked and no-commitment pricing. If it sounds too good to be true that it is often a scam. :eek:

Dave

5. Minhthien macrumors 6502

This is wrong info! I have factory unlock and its display like regular other iphone! Only thing you can really test if its really unlock is making sure its on latest firmware and baseband then try 2 different carrier's Sim and make sure both of them get signal!

If you really want to be safe!!! Upgrade the iphone firmware before you give him the money! if its work after testing then you are good to go!

edit: You stated "SEALED" Just bring 2 different carrier sim! I find hard to believe its unlock and sealed at the same time! lol good luck!

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The OP said factory unlocked, so they would be sealed but unlocked.

Apple sells them here in the USA as of June 2011, just a $50 premium over the no-commitment price.

I doubt the OP wants to open each box as the will reduce the resale value and your suggestion is more complex then would be needed for a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

Dave

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

sorry, it's not the IMEI on the receipt, it's something else:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-news/bought-an-unlocked-iphone-4-from-apple-check-your-receipt/