iPhone 4 32GB for $599 on ebay. Scam or legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mossme89, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I was looking to order an iphone 4 for an absurd price on ebay (its worth it IMO, but thats another discussion), when i stumbled upon THIS AD. He doesn't have any feedback, and is selling a 32gb iphone 4 for $599, $100 less than the no-commitment price.

So right off the bat, it seems like a scam, but if i take a shot at it and pay via paypal (maybe he does get them cheaper), and it does turn out to be a scam or not as described, can't i dispute it and get my money back?

What do you guys think?

2. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Blatent scam, how could he even get a phone that cheap? Not worth the risk seeing as I'm 99% sure it's a scam as he has no feedback.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Go for it! Be sure to let us know how it works out for ya...

4. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

can i dispute it through paypal if it is a scam?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but why would you even bother trying to see if it's real? It's clearly a scam. Spend the several hours you'll waste working things out with PayPal earning money to buy a legitimate unlocked iPhone.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

+1. You could. You'll lose the money and access to it for a couple days. There's a good chance that eBay will cancel the auction. If I were PayPal... (NVM - I'll be nice)

7. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I think that the two most important things to remember when buying stuff 2nd hand off ebay are:

1. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
    2. If you can't tell who the sucker at the card table is, that mean you are the sucker.

I've got a better idea, if you want to throw away $600 then either send half of it to me (hey, at least I'm undercutting the other guy) and buy someone you love something nice with the rest, or just give it to charity.

8. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

tooo risky dude , i usually purchase from ebay but without any feedback thats scary :S

9. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Scaaaaaaammmm!!!!

Ahem.

So, I live in the UK and over here Apple are selling the iPhone 4 unlocked from the factory. The 32Gb model costs £599 with tax (£510 without) - at today's exchange rate, that's around $886 with tax ($755 without).

Look around the world where they sell iPhones unlocked from the factory. In Australia, an unlocked 3GS (iPhone 4 isn't up yet) is equivalent to $760 with tax.

There is no way this iPhone is legit.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

The guy hopes to get a G4 and unlock it via some hack. Then he will send it to you and it will be up to you to go through all the trouble to get your money back when you find out there is no warranty. good luck.

Most likely he can't unlock it or he never sends anything.