Iphone 4 32GB (JB and sam) or known sim?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by teadigger, Jan 12, 2011.

1. teadigger macrumors member

Hi have an iphone 4 32gb, which I cannot get out of no service, running 4.1(8B117), 02.10.04 MOD on O2.
    I Want to keep 4.1 as unlock my be more likely sooner. Have done a erase of all content & media and into itunes waited for a older sim to activate with no luck, do I have to cut and chuck in my current O2 3gs sim that I know is active or go down JB route and use (SAM) to get the phone active but not sure if it works on iphone 4 yet.
    Many thanks teadigger

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If your iPhone 4 is originally for o2 then you can use the old sim card you have to activate the iPhone.

You'd have to cut it obviously.

3. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

iphone actions

Hi thanks for that, is it best to erase content and media as then it has to hook up to itunes and i can set up as new without loosing 4.1 firmware. Is this the best method. thanks for the speedy reply.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It's better in my opinion to a restore through iTunes rather than on the iPhone.

Sometime when erasing the content through the iPhone it will hang up and eventually make you restore through iTunes.

But in order to restore fresh back to 4.1 you need the SHSH saved, other wise the only option would be to go to the newest firmware 4.2.1

5. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

SHSH? Ehh

Hi sorry about my stupidity but what is SHSH, the phone was not jailbroken, is it possible to use iclarified 4.1 restore as if I was doing a JB I think it says firmware not compatible. still new to all the in and outs of this.

6. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Download Tiny Umbrella which will back up your SHSH blobs (no need to be jailbroken) before you try to restore in iTunes. Then, run the TSS server in TU and open iTunes, then point it to where you have the 4.1 file saved (shift + restore on Windows, cmd + restore on OS X). iTunes will then restore the firmware and display an error message when it gets to ~80%, you have to use TU to kick it out of recovery mode and it should then work happily again.