iPhone 4 3G no longer working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gamst, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

3G has stopped working on my launch day iPhone 4. Edge works sometimes. The sim card works fine in my 3GS. Anyone heard of this problem before? Done a full restore with no joy(and another problem, iTunes wiped my iPhone 4 back up when I just choose to call my restore iPhone 'iPhone' to test it out - is my back up lost forever? :( )

I'm assuming if I take it back to the Apple store at the weekend, if they have stock, they'll have to give me a brand new replacement? It's just over a week old, so I'd want one in a sealed box!

Anyone else hear of this issue?

2. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Any chance your service provider is having an outage?

Steve

3. Gamst thread starter macrumors regular

Gamst

I asked them, they aren't. The Sim card works fine with 3G in my 3GS, so it's safe to say it isn't the sim or the network, I'd have thought.

4. dark1x macrumors newbie

Yes, there have been a lot of threads on 3G problems with iPhone4 lately. I don't think it's your phone hardware. The problem comes and goes randomly and occurs when you appear to have full bars.

5. Gamst thread starter macrumors regular

Gamst

I can't get any data to work even with full bars. Data used to be ok with 1 bar. Popping the same sim into my 3GS and I can get data.

It isn't random either it's not worked for 2 days. In different locations.

6. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I've noticed this too. In fact, when it happened today, I grabbed my wife's 3GS, made sure 3G was turned on for both phones and brought up, or tried to bring up, a few web sites. My wife's phone worked fine, my iPhone 4 did nothing. I turned on Airplane Mode for a few seconds on both phones, then flipped it back off and both phones eventually popped up full bars with 3G enabled. Again I tried a few web sites and again the wife's phone worked immediately and my iPhone 4 initially stalled but then slowly started bringing up the site. This is such a drag. If it's not one thing, it's another. Now I have to keep the NEW phone on EDGE all the time, also, if I want it to actually work. I'm kind of torn. It has some nice features that I'd hate to lose but, as the saying goes, "buy a phone for what it is, not what it could be" and what it is is unreliable, buggy and occasionally unusable. A couple more days of this and it's going back to AT&T.