Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rakan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Well, every once in a while i tend to update my iPhone when it is totally safe to do so. I am aware of how to save your baseband using TU. I just have one question. When i hit shift+restore and choose the 4.2.1 firmware for my iphone (running TSS server ofcourse) Should i choose to set up a new device or choose it from a backup. I am hoping to keep all my applications and contacts. I am currently unlocked using T-mobile. I have a couple of cydia apps and other installed applications, songs, videos. Will i lose all my data if i hit "restore as a new device" (i am guessing yes). And is it okay if i just choose this from a backup? I know once i update to 4.2.1 i will be able to jailbreak using Green Pois0n, but i want to be able to update to 4.2.1 while keeping everything intact. possible?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I would just use PwnageTool. It removes any possibility of mistakes that turn the phone into an iPod. Then you can just restore your backup, which works but can cause weird problems sometimes.

Rakan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I thought pwnagetool is only for macs or iphone 3gs and lower. Hmmm.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
yes pwnagetool is only for mac. and if you shift restore you will lose your unlock as tinyumbrella does not retain your baseband anymore. so try to find something with a mac to use pwnagetool or find a pwnagetool firmware online

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.