iPhone 4 (4.1) with mywi + iPad 2 Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by clumsythief83, Mar 16, 2011.

1. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm Canadian and I'm about to buy my first iPad next week. I'm still undecided whether I should get the iPad 2 wifi or iPad 2 Wifi+3G.

The reason I wanted the 3G iPad is because of the GPS. I found it nice to be able to use it as a GPS, something I thought the Wifi only version couldn't do until I saw this on ENgadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/iphone-personal-hotspot-transmitting-gps-information-to-tethered/

Can anyone confirm that this could be done? Also, I guess that all apps using Location Services should work too? If that's the case, I guess that are no reason at all for anyone who can tethered on its iPhone? Let me know, I would love to save some $$$.

Thanks.

2. The Bossman macrumors newbie

I can only confirm that as of right this second, my jail broken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 is not playing nice and letting my iPad 2 use it's gps. I am tethering using Pdanet's Wifi hotspot though and it is working normally.

-Bossman

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

4. dmendiola macrumors member

I don't get the same result as Engadget did on their video using MyWi...I'm still on iOs 4.1 if that matters.

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Here in the states, AT$T has figured out a way to tell who has enabled tethering, without giving them their $40.00 extra per month... Not sure who your ISP is but do you really believe if AT$T can do it that your cellphone provider can't or won't before long?

From what I've read, with the 3G you get a real GPS, not an AGPS. I know that my 1 gen iPad 3G seems to be able to figure out where it is without the DATA plan enable, and with a significant amount of more accuracy than my girlfriends iPhone 4 can...

6. barrett14 macrumors regular

so you're saying if you jailbreak your iphone to enable tethering for free, AT&T will know you did it and come down on you? I have heard others they have been tethering for free without any problems? I am debating whether or not to jailbreak to do this because I don't want to give up my unlimited data plan.

7. Dav1 macrumors 6502

It has been reported that AT&T is sending this text message;

Followed with this email;

8. huskerchad macrumors regular

It does NOT work for me tethering over bluetooth with built-in hotspot functionality. If GPS is important enough to you, you really should buy the 3G model. As mentioned, the GPS works even if you don't have a data connection.

9. HA5TY macrumors member

Do u tether to ur laptop?

I only tether to my iPad and I havent gotten the text. I wonder if maybe AT&T can't tell the difference between an iPad and iPhone.

10. Dav1 macrumors 6502

My guess is AT&T is bringing this features in, in waves... It would make sense that this detection feature cost AT&T money, that they enable it in stages, where they are most congested first.

Then again AT&T also plays favorites as well, so perhaps if you qualify as a favorite you get this warning, if you don't you simply find your data plan changed at some point, and if you don't like it so what? AT&T doesn't actually need me, or perhaps you either?

11. Heavyhitter504 macrumors member

the forum at modmyi has a theory that att is just going for the users that are going overboard with their data usage per month

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

That would make sense. There's no need to force people to a tethering plan if they are under 5gb / month.

13. mamba macrumors newbie

hm

I will buy 3g+wifi. Who knows when you can need internet.

14. Dav1 macrumors 6502

In my opinion that only makes sense if you have bought into this concept that AT&T cares about it's customers, and is actually attempting to put their customers needs above their own.

Now me, I see AT&T as a business out to make money as job #1, they have an opportunity to make $20.00 or more dollars each month, and I believe they will do it... {shrug} I just don't see AT&T caring all that much about me.

I guess we will see in the coming months just who is or is not right....

I certainly hope you prove to be correct!

15. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

They are a public for-profit corporation. What else would you have them do but maximize profits? Apple does the same thing.

16. The Bossman macrumors newbie

Well, I have not yet gotten any text or e-mail from AT&T, I have been tethering now since the 3gs came out, and on thru the transition to the iphone 4.

If they wish to send me that note, then i will wipe my rear end with it. I SIGNED a legal and binding document, one year ago that states that I have an UNLIMITED data plan. Just because their bloodsucking lawyers have revamped a contract, does not mean I will bow down to them. Let them try to charge me for ANY F&@#$ng thing i do on my UNLIMITED data plan.

Scumbag leeches.

/rant off

-The Bossman

17. shareef777, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

I have MyWi on my iPhone 4 (4.2.1). Tethers perfectly with my iPad 2 (wifi) over Bluetooth. It's easy to connect as well. After initial pairing, just go to the Bluetooth settings on the iPad and choose the phone. The wifi signal status changes to a chain type icon. Maps show the detailed spot instead of the approximate blue circle given when connected to wifi only.

Every workday I get on the train and connect my iPad to the iPhone while the iPhone remains in my pocket. I constantly use the Internet while tethered for the duration of the train ride (at least as long as I have an ATT signal). By the time I get to the office and connect the iPad to wifi, I notice that my iPhone battery had only dropped by 5%. Awesome!

Btw, there is one shortfall. Regardless if the iPhone or iPad have a wifi connection, as long as the iPad's Bluetooth is paired to the iPhone it will remain using the 3G signal. I work around this by disabling the iPad BT when I no longer need it (and re-enable when needed for anything). When enabling BT, it does not auto connect to the iPhone.

18. cc1013 macrumors member

To connect via Bluetooth, do both your iPhone and iPad need to have MyWi installed? I believe two separate licenses would need to be purchased for that, but could be wrong.

I currently tether my iPhone 4 to my iPad 2 with MyWi via wifi. Just curious about the benefits/drawbacks of connecting through bluetooth instead of wifi. It sounds like GPS is the main difference.

Would love to hear your experience.

19. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Nothing needs to be done to the iPad other then pairing it with the iPhone. No mywi, or jail breaking needed (on the iPad).

20. smartboy87 macrumors newbie

are you using itether??

21. huskerchad macrumors regular

The iPad 2 can connect to the native bluetooth tethering on the iPhone. Neither device needs to be jailbroken for this to work. Of course you have many more options if you are willing to jailbreak one or the other.

22. cc1013 macrumors member

Thanks! I will have to try that out!

23. clumsythief83 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm kinda confused. You are telling me that it is possible for the iPad to tether on an iPhone 4 via bluetooth? So what's wrong with AT&T sending text to users with jailbroken iPhones? I'm from Canada and I doubt that my provider (Fido) would do the same.

24. huskerchad macrumors regular

I don't know if it's clear yet exactly who AT&T is sending that message to, but it appears to be high-volume users that they suspect of tethering without having a tethering plan on their accounts. What I'm saying is that you can tether your iPad to your iPhone in a completely approved way that requires no jailbreaking on either device. With AT&T you must pay extra for the bluetooth tethering capability. I don't know if that is the same for your carrier.