iphone 4 4.2.1 jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spykedmartini, Dec 6, 2010.

1. spykedmartini macrumors member

i have an iphone 4 on 4.2.1 and i want to jailbreak it soon, but i am a little confused about whats going on with the jailbreak. I dont have SHSH blobs saved, and dont really know what that means. I agreed to have my ECID saved with cydia, does that count? How would I access the cydia server? Do i have to downgrade to 4.1 and use greenpoison, or an equivalent? Can i jailbreak 4.2.1 as of now with no SHSH? How?

Thanks everyone!

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can jailbreak with the latest Redsn0w but it will be a tethered jailbreak. If you don't know what that means you have to connect to a computer and rerun redsn0w everytime you reboot the phone or power it off.
    In other words if you are 1,000 miles away from home and your battery runs down after you recharge it you cannot use the phone until you get home or happen to have a laptop with redsn0w on it.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

If you have 4.1 SHSH files saved, you can downgrade to 4.1, JB and it won't be tethered. Use Tinyumbrella, save your SHSH files and click on "Show my SHSH". If 4.1 is listed, you are good to go. Click "TSS Server...," restore with the official 4.1 firmware, and then, use Redsn0w to JB.

4. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Why do people keep spreading this crap? It's not true. If your phone dies or is rebooted, you simply lose the jailbreak until you connect back to a computer and run Redsn0w again. Your phone will still work.

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Actually, from my understanding and according to this:
    http://www.applesheet.com/definition-tethered-jailbreak-untethered-jailbreak/14080/

...with regards to a tethered jailbreak, you would be unable to reboot an iDevice without connecting to a computer and having something like redsn0w boot it for you. Essentially it's unusable until you use redsn0w to reboot it.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Current Jailbreak is a semi-tethered Jailbreak (most people jsut avoid the term to not add to the confusion), a fully tethered Jailbreak the iDevice won't boot at all without a computer, on a semi-tethered JB the iDevice will boot but jailbreaking app won't work - HOWEVER ....(BIG BIG HOWEVER) - on a semi-Tethered jailbreak if you install anything that mess with the springboard (anything that use Mobile substrate) them the device wont boot since the Springboard was modify so some dinamic libraries load before springboard, since those Dimanic libraries don't work (due to the fact that they are JB software) them your springboard won't load( Which seen like the device never booted).

Hope is a bit more clear now

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Hope IS a bit more clear now, thanks.

I dont think there is anything too clear about this jumble of text you posted. Was this from an auto-correcting iphone?

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah if you jailbreak and install NOTHING. my ipad is tethered and will not boot at all without redsnow and the only thing I installed was airplay unrestrictor.

9. autofree macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd share. I am currently jailbroken on 4.2.1 (long story to why I was forced to do so), and when I reboot the phone, it DOES NOT boot. It just hangs at the apple splash screen. I have to use redsn0w to boot.

I did notice that when I first jailbroke it on 4.2.1, I was able to reboot it completely, but cydia wouldn't open. But now that I've installed apps, it no longer boots. I now carry a thumb drive with redsn0w on it for emergencies. :)

I do suggest waiting for an untethered jailbreak.

10. bippoptl macrumors newbie

i restarted my iphone today at work and thought that the phone was broken because it wouldnt turn on. so i got home and restored it and then jailbroke it again, and downloaded everything all over again. wish i would have saw that i only had to plug it in again. haha. how do you semi-jb an iphone on 4.2.1? so it will turn on but not be jailbroken. also, are they gonna come out with an untethered jb?

on a side note, is anyone else having issues with cydia not letting you install Backrounder?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, as i tried to say (but some weren't able to follow), that's because you got some app that modified springboard and doesn't allow the device to boot. just as expected.;)

12. applephysci macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. Well put though. Cracked me up.

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Someone point a gun at your face to force you to use tether JB?:eek: