iPhone 4/4S Apple unlocked only for GSM, T-Mobile USA work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Oct 11, 2011.

1. PracticalMac, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well, it seems the Apple unlocked iPhone is CDMA excluded, but that network is pretty much only for USA?

One thing I wonder, can the unlocked 4/4S work on the T-Mobile in USA network (and yes, I know, data could be limited to the slow EDGE network).
    I have a really good plan with T-M so would like to stay, but will switch.

So, can it or cant it? Or is Jail breaking still required?
    (had anyone purchased an unlocked iPhone 4 and signed up for T-Mobile?)

2. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

256 views, no one have answer if Apple unlocked will work on T-M out of box?

3. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

My friend but a white iPhone 4 unlocked and uses it on tmobile no problem, not jailbreaking but yeah is edge, I would get a plan with another carrier but is up to you, he said he pay 650$ for it so that's kind of expensive

4. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

Unlocked will work with T-mobile........ I'm getting one for my GF.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Thanks for confirming both of you.

$550 more for new iPhone 4 8GB with no contract may be less expensive, since a 2 year contract can cost over $2000

I will have to make a spreadsheet and check the #'s before I decide.

6. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Yeah well consider how Mich you paying right.now and what you get and if at the end is the same mine as well get sprint ATT or Verizon since 3g actually work on those :)

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It will work but you will only get EDGE data speed.

They are super slow. I used my 3GS this way for a while before switching to Verizon iPhone 4, and let me tell you it takes about a full 5 minutes to check like 2 web pages. Its VERY bad.

Listening to a sound sample on iTunes over Edge takes about as long as the full song would be (if not longer) just to load.

You will also not get visual voicemail, when you click the voicemail tab it will just call your voicemail line for you and you will have to check messages that way.

Otherwise, yes, it will work out of the box.

8. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It'll be fine, as for data speeds, it really depends on how many bars you have. The speeds are actually pretty tolerable here in Phoenix, but in LA speeds were SLOoOOW

10. madridista59 macrumors regular

i was going to go the craigslist route and unlock a phone to use on tmo for my niece, but tonight i went ahead and picked up an unlocked 4 from the apple store for her to use.

question...as i am on at&t and have never used an unlocked phone, will it be an issue if she doesn't have a data plan? can't she just turn off cellular data and 3g in the settings?

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

She can turn off 3G, but it is recommended she gets at least the $10 capped data plan. I believe the $10 one gives you 200MB of 3G, but then it pushes you down to EDGE, but since it won't matter anyway since the iPhone only goes up to EDGE, this plan is perfect for her.

12. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Unlocked iPhones

more profits to apple and hard cash (no need to get it from ATT/Verizon/Sprint)

:D

----------

my guess it will work with t-mobile. apple site does not say t-mobile because 3G frequency is difference and so says only ATT supported. technically correct.

I will bet 100% it will work with t-mobile not the 3G (which everyone knows)

13. madridista59 macrumors regular

hey thanks for the response man! the capped data plan sounds ideal and cheap enough, unfortunately i have no control over what her parents pay for plan wise. and her dad is super damn cheap lol, yes, even an additional 10$ a month would get him griping. so if that's out of the picture, just turning off 3G will suffice yes?

14. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Apple still get the mola, unlocked or not!

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Not worth going this route unless a) you don't surf the web on your phone... ever; or b) you have money to spare, in which case, why not just switch to ATT/Veriz/Sprint?

16. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

a) Don't surf web enough to worry about that. Mainly for email and GPS.

b) $199 for 2 year contact, OR + $449 more ($649 total) unlocked and no contract.

[​IMG]
    comparison-of-iphone-4s-service-plans-for-att-sprint-and-verizon/

With taxes I currently pay under $79 for three (3) lines.
    Internet add on is $5 for 200mb (which for EDGE is not limited)
    $84 total
    NO contract.

Sprint: 3 lines is $80, NOT including taxes (taxes will be about $5 more).
    $10 for data on one line.
    $95
    WITH contract.

$11 difference.

$450 / 24 months = $18.75/mo, how much less I need to pay with T-Mobile to break even, so I am pretty close.

It is potentially cheaper for me to buy unlocked iPhone 4S and stay with T-Mobile, but need to consider some details.