Iphone 4 5.0.1 tmobile unlock/jailbreak

aceapplenoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'm a complete 'Apple/Iphone' noob. I've jailbroken Ipads and Itouch's before so I know the basics but thats about it and I really need some help.

I recently bought this and I'm just waiting for it to get in the mail,

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/cell-...-att-black-gamestop-premium-refurbished/98140

now here is where I need help. My understanding is that only certain base bands can be unlocked.

I want to jailbreak, and unlock it to work on Tmobile AFTER updating it to 5.0.1

What steps, precautions, or things should I know? Can someone please help me?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I'm a complete 'Apple/Iphone' noob. I've jailbroken Ipads and Itouch's before so I know the basics but thats about it and I really need some help.

I recently bought this and I'm just waiting for it to get in the mail,

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/cell-...-att-black-gamestop-premium-refurbished/98140

now here is where I need help. My understanding is that only certain base bands can be unlocked.

I want to jailbreak, and unlock it to work on Tmobile AFTER updating it to 5.0.1

What steps, precautions, or things should I know? Can someone please help me?
Unlock is based on Iphone's baseband (modem firmware). So, look at your phone and provide the following;

1. firmware version.
2. Modem firmware.

If your phone modem firmware (baseband) is 04.11, then you can't unlock it at all.

aceapplenoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Unlock is based on Iphone's baseband (modem firmware). So, look at your phone and provide the following;

1. firmware version.
2. Modem firmware.

If your phone modem firmware (baseband) is 04.11, then you can't unlock it at all.
what are the chances of it being 04.11?

Also are there certian basedbands that can only be unlocked GEVEY SIM?

aceapplenoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Thank you, all of you for the help.

So i'm hoping that when my phone gets in the baseband will be anything lower than 4.11, and I might just buy a GEVEY SIM so I can be sure to unlock it.

Afterwards, I just preserve the baseband by installing a custom iOS 5.0.1?

geoff2005

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
so pretty much if its updated to 5.0.1 it updates the firmware therefore it cannot be unlocked? are the dev teams working on an unlock for it? i want to be able to use the phone overseas with an overseas sim.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you, all of you for the help.

So i'm hoping that when my phone gets in the baseband will be anything lower than 4.11, and I might just buy a GEVEY SIM so I can be sure to unlock it.

Afterwards, I just preserve the baseband by installing a custom iOS 5.0.1?
Yep.

so pretty much if its updated to 5.0.1 it updates the firmware therefore it cannot be unlocked? are the dev teams working on an unlock for it? i want to be able to use the phone overseas with an overseas sim.
Yeah, if you did a normal update to 5.0.1, it will also update your baseband so it can't be unlocked yet. We have no idea if dev teams are working on it, I know they are working on jailbreaking 4S & iPad2(A5 processors)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.