Iphone 4 5.1 jailbreak HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jbone31, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Jbone31 macrumors newbie

I am really sorry if this is something that has been posted about before but i am new on here. I have had Droid phones for a long time now and Rooted them all the time.
    My main question/problem is ive spent the last 2 days researching how to JB my phone on 5.1 and the only one that everyone seems to say works is RedSn0w... I know its a tethered JB but i am fine with that. Problem is ive downloaded the newest version over and over and it just keeps getting stuck on the "Waiting for reboot" step even after my phone has rebooted.
    Any help or any other ways of Jailbreaking my phone IF its even possible would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. joek71 macrumors newbie

joek71

Use iTunes to restore your phone back to normal, than once you put it in to normal state using iTunes, download Redsnow latest version, than shut make sure phone is plugged in to your comp, quite iTunes, shut the phone off, start redsnow, than select jailbreak and make sure to follow the on screen instructions, if you still having problems let me know.

4. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thank you guys for the help! I am on a Macbook.

Ill try redsnow again after doing a restore. Will i be able to get everything back on my phone after Jailbreaking if i do the restore prior though?
    Thanks again!

5. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure you backup your iphone with itunes before you do a restore.
    This way you can put your stuff back.
    Is redsnow still giving you problems?

7. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a current backup of my phone i just did last night.
    I have tried redsnow now with mac and windows and both still get stuck on "waiting for reboot"

Youre saying to "restore" my phone then do the jailbreak and then use my backup? I think i am confused cause that would lose the JB of course right?
    Thanks again!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you run it under windows go to properties and compatibility and run it for windows xp and under privilage run as admin.
    Click apply and ok and try again.

9. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually did exactly that to the T lol
    Can you gimme an idea of what to do exactly on a mac right now? I dont have access to a Windows comp today just my macbook...
    I feel like an idiot! I used to do some coding and had different roms and hacks everyday on my Android stuff and now i cant even JB my iphone! lol

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On a mac you shouldnt have to do anything besides run it.
    Run redsnow,go to extras, select ipsw and point redsnow to the stock ipsw firmware that your iphone 4 is running on right now.
    Then try the JB again.
    Also make sure you have lated updated itunes on your computer. Both mac and windows when trying to JB.

11. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'll give that a try right now! I haven't tried going into the extras and selecting anything before...

12. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guess im not sure exactly how to point it to the stock firmware... do you have the steps to go through to get it there?
    sorry for all the questions..

13. BlueRaider macrumors regular

Download the stock 5.1 firmware from here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware

Then place it in whatever file you want, open Redsn0w, click extra's, select ipsw, select the 5.1 .ipsw from whatever file you saved it in, the go back to the main screen on Redsn0w, select jailbreak and follow the instructions.

Is your iPhone 4 an 8GB version by any chance?

14. Jbone31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for all the help! I finally got it! Btw it's the 16gb version...
    Now time to play around and not break it completely!

Any suggestions on what cool sources or themes to play around with?!