Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
First off, I've never had a problem with AT&T service (lol, I understand me/my area may be a rare breed). Anyway, my girlfriend constantly complains that I'm cutting out. On a typical hour long phone call, she'll say I cut out at LEAST 3 times during the call. Highly annoying for both of us.

A few things before I get to my question:
1) She's on Verizon, nothing has changed on her end
2) We didn't have this issue with my 3G
3) it's NOT the antenna issue - my hands are no where near the "spot" (as I've trained myself to hold the phone differently...Mr.Jobs would be pleased).
4) I have 5 bars, never drops at home (as was the case with the 3G).

SO, I'm enklined to think there's an issue with my 4. That being said, I'm outside the 30 day window since my PREORDER, though, not outside the 30 days from the phones arrival on the 23rd.

Should I make an appointment with The Genius bar? Is it worth my time? Or will they just spew some BS about AT&T reception and send me on my way? I'd like to exchange the phone, does it sound like this is worth pursuing?

n7plus1

Jul 18, 2010
York, PA
this is what i was afraid of....this new algorithm. Now its going to show you more bars than what you should really have, more than before.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
Actually no, I'm on 4.0, and as I understand it, if anything, the new update would fix it to show me having less than 5 bars (if that were the case).

I think there's something bunked with the phone itself tho.

PaperyWhiteBoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
London
Ever resolve this one?

Enklind, did you ever resolve this? I've just started experiencing the same problem, though in the UK. I can hear the other party perfectly clear, have full signal and hear no sound distortion, but and told i can't be heard....

gnychis

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
the cellular signal can experience many other things that affect the signal quality such as certain types of fading

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.