iphone 4 accelerometer not working?

bgack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
nothing happens when I rotate my phone sideways in safari, calculator, or the keyboard. I have checked and nothing is locked in landscape mode. Also apps that require shaking do not seem to work. Sounds like a dead accelerometer - taking it back to the apple store tomorrow but will I get a replacement? Will I have to wait 3 weeks or whatever? I just got this phone 2 days ago.

beats du jour

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
U.K.
nothing happens when I rotate my phone sideways in safari, calculator, or the keyboard. I have checked and nothing is locked in landscape mode. Also apps that require shaking do not seem to work. Sounds like a dead accelerometer - taking it back to the apple store tomorrow but will I get a replacement? Will I have to wait 3 weeks or whatever? I just got this phone 2 days ago.
I'd be interested to hear what apple say about your phone. I've had similar problems - haven't really noticed anything within apps, but Safari routinely doesn't re-orientate itself when the phone is turned sideways.

Restarting the phone does seem to fix it for a while before it starts again.

Hope you get it sorted and let us know how you get on :)

xela24678

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
first, restore it using itunes. It could just be a software issue not reading the gyroscope right. If the problem continues, go to apple. They should replace it for you since that is a big problem and they should give it to you on the spot.:apple:

bgack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Double click home button
Swipe left to right
Is there a lock on the bottom left?
Nope, no lock.

I have an appt at the apple store tomorrow but I'm guessing hardware issue. It didn't work out of the box before 4.01 update either.

bgack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
itunes restore didnt work either..I'll report back tomorrow

bgack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Update: replaced with a
new one at apple store no problem