iPhone 4 accelerometer problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by synagence, Jun 26, 2010.

1. synagence macrumors 6502a

Been using my iPhone 4 for about 12 hours or so since i got it and everything has been fine....

Until i just tried iMovie ... for some reason i couldn't get the orientation to switch to landscape (just minutes before i'd been taking video/photos in landscape)

I've now gone into Safari and other apps and i can't get the orientation to switch ... i've checked the lock in the dock and its off ... games seem to be ok be now previously ok are skewed left but the accelerometer now seems off

Anyone else encountered this or have i just got a dying iPhone?

Gonna be a while i guess before i can get a straight exchange

2. synagence thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried a few more things post-restore (Which didn't help)...

Seems it is the accelerometer thats partially dead but the gyro is working ....

RealRacing (claiming to have gyro support) is still kinda drivable (but need to hold at an angle even post calibrate for it to go straight)....

X-Plane (no gyro support) can again fly left or right but skewed badly but cannot fly up or down ...

I've booked into genius bar tomorrow in the vain hope they have different stock for non-sale but they are out of sale stock.

Fingers crossed otherwise i've got an unknown wait to get replacement....

3. maxdefcon macrumors newbie

maxdefcon

What happened? I'm having a weird accelerometer issue as well. If I tap the center of the back of my iPhone 4, I found that it locks the orientation & then I have to shake the iPhone for it to rotate the screen again. If it gets worse, I'll setup an appointment, but the closest Apple store is a few hours away.