iPhone 4 activation, unlock, use in foreign countries

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jp99, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jp99 macrumors newbie

I know this is probably vague since the new iPhone hasn't been released yet, but I would like to buy the iPhone 4 at its release, from AT&T without the contract ($599/$699), because I move to Germany a few weeks later. As far as I know it is still locked to AT&T then. Could you use it with a German sim card. How do I activate or can I avoid an activation and how can I use it in Germany? Do I need to wait for an unlock? I don't want to buy it in Germany because it is far more expensive and I don't want to use it with the standard-iPhone carrier. Please tell me anything you know about this matter.:apple:

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Did you try calling ATT to see if the no-contract phones can be unlocked by them?

If not, you'll have to wait for the, supposedly imminent, os4 unlock.

3. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

As far as we know, all American iPhones are locked to AT&T. I myself plan on buying (through a friend) either a French or English iPhone 4.

I don't think AT&T will unlock the "no commitment" iPhone 4 either.

4. Swede macrumors newbie

english iPhone 4 will be locked to a uk network

however a french one will not, it is illegal to lock a phone to a network in france

5. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

No, they will not unlock a no commitment phone either. I just received an email from corporate after I filed a complaint with the FCC regarding this same thing.

6. mcprobie macrumors member

mcprobie

Normally they will sell the iPhone 4 unlocked in Belgium too ...

As far as the original question, with an iPhone 3GS from AT&T it was/is possible to unlock and use it with another sim ... I currently use an iPhone 3GS with a Belgian sim card.

I think when the new iPhones arrive it will be possible again.

7. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

im living in germany now, right near poland... do they sell phones unlocked in some countries? i'm sure if i could get an iphone in poland itd be cheap... especially if they sell them unlocked.

8. sjdigital macrumors regular

I don't believe there are any 'English' iPhones :p but British iPhones are available unlocked from O2. The unlock was free if you had a contract phone and there was a £15 charge if it was Pay As You Go. It remains to be seen if they will offer the same service for the British iPhone 4.

9. nikademus macrumors newbie

As far as I know, UK iphone is available both locked and unlocked (if you buy it from apple store)

Also as far as I know, in France, you can sell locked phone as long as you also propose the same one unlocked. For the iphone it is available on apple store unlocked.

In Belgium it is strictly forbidden to sell subsidized phones, so you cannot get a locked phone in Belgium, all iPhones there will be unlocked.

Honestly, I don't understand why people buy locked phones and then make that much effort to unlock them. If you want an unlocked phone, just buy an unlocked phone. At the end of the day it will cost you less.

10. zamwi macrumors newbie

Do you know what the laws are in Germany? I'm going to be vacationing there in October and would love to pick up an unlocked iPhone is they have them.

If you get an unlocked phone from another country, is it still unlocked when you update the software?

11. 22hand macrumors member

I am arriving Berlin on Oct 14..not sure if I can get an unlock iPhone 4S too....