iPhone 4 activation

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by arpegious, Dec 25, 2011.

1. arpegious macrumors newbie

Hey guys !
    So I bought that iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago.
    It was delivered with FW 4.0.2 and by mistake, I did the update to 5.0.1
    So I'm kind of stucked here :
    The device has a 5.0.1 fw and a 04.11.08 baseband.
    And I checked with tinyumbrella no shsh saved from previous firmwares.
    I tried to downgrade it with the iFaith/Bluefreez trick but iFaith doesn't recognise any of the firmwares I download, so i dropped that idea and I just sat down on my couch, crying deeply :D

So my iPhone is stucked on that activation screen saying that the SIM is not valid and "Only compatible sim cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone" message.
    I just want to use my phone as an iPod don't care if network's not working.
    So may I find a solution ?
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Kind regards.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can JB and hactivate it using redsnow. Or by using a sim from the original carrier the phone is locked to.
    You will not be able to use it as a phone on a unofficial carrier. The unlock is gone and there's nothing out there right now that will unlock it.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Hopefully you've learned from your "mistake", whatever that is.

4. arpegious thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is I already JB it using redsn0w but even when I launch the phone it's still on that activation screen. I even tried the "Just Boot" because it's with iOS5 but nothing, still on that activation screen.
    That "hacktivate" thing, how does it work or how do I select it on redsnow in order to get off that activation screen ?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a tethered JB so you will have to boot tethered each time you restart the phone.
    Plug it again and just boot tethered.

6. Striem macrumors newbie

Just curious, why buy an locked iPhone when it's so easy to get an unlocked version or at least chose an adequate carrier?

7. arpegious thread starter macrumors newbie

When I bought it, the device was unlocked but when I update it, it was no more unlocked.
    And I still can't figure out how to get it hacktivated Applejuiced =( any advice ?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It was software unlocked with ultrasnow.
    That unlock is not permanent and as you noticed once you update the firmware with itunes the unlock is now gone forever.
    Redsnow will hactivate and JB your device.
    On 5.0.1 is a tethered JB so you will have to boot tethered each time you restart. What part are you stuck on?

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Can you get hold of original carrier sim? That the easiest way. With new stock firmware, redsn0w will not hactivate it for you. If you want to hactivate, you need a customs activate firmware and restore your phone to it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh sorry, I thought redsnow hactivated the latest 5.0.1 also.
    OP, try snowbreeze. I think that does create a custom IPSW that you can restore to.

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yep. I thought that too. I was stuck on this previously and I was wondering what happen and did look at the dev team and found out it was not. Here is one of there quote on the new redsn0w;

"THIS REDSN0W WILL NOT HACTIVATE! You need to be an iOS developer with a registered UDID to get past all the new activation screens. PLEASE DON’T PIRATE APPLE SOFTWARE! Only registered devs with Macs can develop iOS applications,and only those people will have legitimate access to the beta IPSWs. See update #1 below."

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5

12. arpegious thread starter macrumors newbie

13. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

You are out of luck like all of us that have 4.11.08 right now. Currently there is no break for it. We will have to wait until the gifted hackers find a resolve for this baseband. Not sure why this one is difficult, if it was full proof, then Apple would not need to create other base bands....

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

yep and probably never happen because the last software unlock on 01.59 happen back in Aug 2010. Since then, nothing happen.