Carrier iPhone 4 activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pooleman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I have an old iPhone 4 that I want to use as an iPod. I erased all contents and settings and now he phone won't get past the activation screen due to there being no sim in the phone. How do I get this phone to the homescreen without a sim?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can't. You must have a SIM card to activate it. You can buy a dead SIM card on eBay for like $1

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

CEmajr is correct, a SIM is required for activation. Additionally, if the phone isn't unlocked I believe the SIM needs to be from the correct carrier.

4. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

Ok. If I get a sim adapter can I just use my iPhone 6 plus sim to activate it, then remove it from the iPhone 4 and put it back in my iPhone 6?

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Different sizes. If they were the same size, then yes.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

He said he would get an adapter, and that would be fine.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If the phone is locked to a carrier, you may need to keep a SIM in it even after activation. My husband's iPhone 5, locked to AT&T, won't function at all without a SIM in it; as soon as you pop the SIM out, it locks up with a message indicating it needs activation, and it won't work without a SIM from the carrier it's locked to. I finally stuck a no longer valid AT&T SIM from my previous account into it; since then, it makes a fine iPod.

Conversely, my own unlocked iPhone 5 is fine empty, just spits out a "No SIM" message at me once in a while.

Inactive SIMs work well for this type of thing, and as another poster said, they're cheap on eBay if you don't already have one of the right size.