Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I have an old iPhone 4 that I want to use as an iPod. I erased all contents and settings and now he phone won't get past the activation screen due to there being no sim in the phone. How do I get this phone to the homescreen without a sim?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have an old iPhone 4 that I want to use as an iPod. I erased all contents and settings and now he phone won't get past the activation screen due to there being no sim in the phone. How do I get this phone to the homescreen without a sim?

You can't. You must have a SIM card to activate it. You can buy a dead SIM card on eBay for like $1

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
CEmajr is correct, a SIM is required for activation. Additionally, if the phone isn't unlocked I believe the SIM needs to be from the correct carrier.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
CEmajr is correct, a SIM is required for activation. Additionally, if the phone isn't unlocked I believe the SIM needs to be from the correct carrier.

Ok. If I get a sim adapter can I just use my iPhone 6 plus sim to activate it, then remove it from the iPhone 4 and put it back in my iPhone 6?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If the phone is locked to a carrier, you may need to keep a SIM in it even after activation. My husband's iPhone 5, locked to AT&T, won't function at all without a SIM in it; as soon as you pop the SIM out, it locks up with a message indicating it needs activation, and it won't work without a SIM from the carrier it's locked to. I finally stuck a no longer valid AT&T SIM from my previous account into it; since then, it makes a fine iPod.

Conversely, my own unlocked iPhone 5 is fine empty, just spits out a "No SIM" message at me once in a while.

Inactive SIMs work well for this type of thing, and as another poster said, they're cheap on eBay if you don't already have one of the right size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.