iPhone 4 / Address Book Sync Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bdefilippo, Jun 28, 2010.

1. bdefilippo macrumors newbie

I have a new 15" MacBook Pro and iPhone 4. Just spent all night trying to get my contacts to line up between the two and I'm having issues...

Contacts originated on my office's Exchange Server. For some reason the CSV export from Outlook (about 1,100 contacts) was creating hundreds (actually about 600) spurious extra contacts in Apple Address Book - they seem to be related to the "Notes" field in my VCards. This problem was transferring over to my new iPhone.

After several tries to fix this, I erased all my contacts in Address Book and used a new method - I exported all the VCards from my old Droid phone and imported those into Address Book. That worked like a charm - no bad contacts in Address Book.

BUT - when i wipe all contacts from my phone and then do a fresh sync iPhone 4 to my Macbook Pro, I still get the bad contacts on my phone AND I get duplicates of each and every contact. I am not using MobileMe so that's not it. I have gone so far as to completely reset all data from my phone and start over, but I still get the same problem. So what I'm saying is that my iPhone and Address Book look completely different from one another at this point, which is both strange and painful. Address Book is fine, iPhone not so much.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help...

2. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

When I moved from my 3GS to the 4 I noticed hundreds of extra contacts as well. The difference is I'm an Exchange user (have a server at home and at work). From what I could tell the iPhone sync'd up all the email addresses that are cached in outlook... you know when you go to type in an email address and they automatically start to fill in... well it appears those are now sync'ing as contacts. I downloaded an app to bulk delete to clear things up but its still happening - now when I reply to someone new, that user is put in my contacts on the phone even though they do not appear in my contacts in Outlook.

This seems to be some kind of bug. I'm going to keep trying to track it down but I'm surprised nobody else has seen it.