Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Hey, my friend pleased me to look on his iPhone 4 He bought it on internet and dont have much experience with iPhones.

Seems like the iPhone is locked - iTunes requires original carrier SIM card to activate the phone.

iPhone is after restore - i get stuck on the step where i have to connect to WIFI or to iTunes. After selecting WIFI i cant continue and after selecting iTunes option i get stuck with the SIM error.

All options i found were with already jailbroken iPhone, but after i cant even activate it, is there anything i can do?

Thanks for any answers

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hey, my friend pleased me to look on his iPhone 4 He bought it on internet and dont have much experience with iPhones.

Seems like the iPhone is locked - iTunes requires original carrier SIM card to activate the phone.

iPhone is after restore - i get stuck on the step where i have to connect to WIFI or to iTunes. After selecting WIFI i cant continue and after selecting iTunes option i get stuck with the SIM error.

All options i found were with already jailbroken iPhone, but after i cant even activate it, is there anything i can do?

Thanks for any answers

Does not sound good !

Its locked to a network and probably will have an unlock able baseband.

Speak to the original owner in order o have it unlocked.

lets hope you have not been burned !

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Which firmware did you restore to?

You can activate the phone during jailbreaking with redsn0w

After restoring you can use redsn0w to jailbreak. On 5.01 it will be a untethered jailbreak, e.g. you can restart without connecting it to your mac/pc.
On 5.1 it will be a tethered jailbreak, e.g. you have to connect your phone to computer and use redsn0w everytime you reboot.

Download redsn0w from here:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem

redsn0w 9.10b7

Connect iphone to mac/pc
start redsn0w
click jailbreak
during the process you have to selct "activate"

After all is done, restart your phone if on 5.01
If on 5.1 go to redsn0w/extra's and select just boot, the phone will now boot up and you will see a pineapple screen for awhile.

For the unlock its is a different story, a new method just came out.

first try to get the phone jailbroken and activated

----------

Does not sound good !

Its locked to a network and probably will have an unlock able baseband.

Speak to the original owner in order o have it unlocked.

lets hope you have not been burned !

You can activate it through redsn0w and with the new SAM which is out you can unlock most phones

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Which firmware did you restore to?

You can activate the phone during jailbreaking with redsn0w

After restoring you can use redsn0w to jailbreak. On 5.01 it will be a untethered jailbreak, e.g. you can restart without connecting it to your mac/pc.
On 5.1 it will be a tethered jailbreak, e.g. you have to connect your phone to computer and use redsn0w everytime you reboot.

Download redsn0w from here:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem

redsn0w 9.10b7

Connect iphone to mac/pc
start redsn0w
click jailbreak
during the process you have to selct "activate"

After all is done, restart your phone if on 5.01
If on 5.1 go to redsn0w/extra's and select just boot, the phone will now boot up and you will see a pineapple screen for awhile.

For the unlock its is a different story, a new method just came out.

first try to get the phone jailbroken and activated

----------

You can activate it through redsn0w and with the new SAM which is out you can unlock most phones

Only if the iPhone is on iOS 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.