iPhone 4 "all proof" case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mh27, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mh27 macrumors newbie

2. krs7272 macrumors regular

krs7272

Found this on the page

LifeProof Case for the iPhone 4 is currently in production. We have been overwhelmed with demand for LifeProof so we recommend you pre-order now to ensure your place for the fastest possible delivery.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Very disappointed this isn't bombproof. It's a dealbreaker for me.

4. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Wow, if it has less bulk than the Otterbox I might be interested in this one! I'll wait for the reviews first, because for $70 it better be able to withstand a direct shot from a Bradley tank.

Basically there's two things I'll be looking at: how much bulk it adds to the phone and how the screen cover affects the display and use of it.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

How on earth is the phone functional in a waterproof case? How can you talk on the phone or listen to music through the speakers or whatever? Doesn't even sound possible.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm in. It looks pretty slim, relatively speaking, so I'm hoping this will be THEE case for me.

7. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

9. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Haha, I'll review it for you guys to tell you if it's worth it to drop your phone in the water.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I can figure that out on my own.......I'll "borrow" my friend's iPhone :D

11. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

[​IMG]

but a typical non-response from anyone who just cant afford something new.

12. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Nice emoticon!

13. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

well, you cant listen to anything underwater since sound is the vibration of air, something an underwater state severely lacks.

but to prevent water from getting into speaker/mic openings and still be usable without removing a sealed case requires use of a membrane whose pores are smaller than water at a molecular level, yet still porous and thus able to allow air to travel through.

one example of this kind of membrane that's on the market today is GoreTex... advertised as a breathable membrane (allows air to pass) while being water repellant/resistant (pores smaller than water at a molecular level).

they can also be using a non-membrane that simply reverberates... allows the moving soundwaves to move itself and thus the air on the opposite side, therefore being waterproof yet allowing sound to travel "through" it. this would be akin to how you can still hear outside sounds if your home features only single-pane windows.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^ Best Educational Response of the day :D Gore-tex analogy is spot on.

15. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

misused the word "analogy" since it's not an analogy. it's synonymous, despite being a trademarked name, but still simple an actual example of a water-resistant membrane.

but thank you for the recognition. i just wish all questions allowed me to provide an insightful answer like this. i also hope people actually read it like you did. [​IMG]

16. mrbunglez macrumors regular

mrbunglez

This case looks badazz I just pre ordered it.
    Thanks for the info.

17. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

That's what I'd like to see. While the video shows him using the camera, there was no demonstration of tapping on the keyboard or taking in a phone call. They are planning to offer headphones that can be used underwater though, so that's telling right there.

I'd also like to see how well it'll be able to dock with the phone inside the case. I can't wait to see the reviews. I actually asked for a review sample myself. :D

18. ImStrapped macrumors member

awesome. looking forward for the review!
    oh and good luck dropping it in the water:D

19. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Is Lifeproof for real?

I dunno about this - my antennae are flailing around here on this.

Great website, super videos, yet nothing is available for purchase.

iPhone 4 case: not yet available
    iPhone 3 case: not available
    iPad case: yep, not available

Hey, if this product is real, I know of two people that would buy it immediately, they work in construction and they're always having issues with phones. I'd buy it for peace of mind.

But there doesn't seem to be anything to actually buy here.

I do note that they're not taking payments, which would have been a major tipoff. So, I sincerely hope I'm just being paranoid here, but without anything being in consumer's hands, it's hard to believe just yet.

20. Rattle&Hum macrumors newbie

Just crossed that line from "smart" to "smartass" ;)