iPhone 4 always no service

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macmee, Jul 13, 2011.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

My brother recently purchased an iPhone 4 from Kijiji. As it is locked on with Bell and he uses Telus he gave it to me and requested that I jailbreak and test it out to see if it works as I am, unfortunately, on contract with Bell.

I jailbroke it fine (running 4.3.3) but the trouble came when I tried sticking my micro-sim card in to try out the phone. No matter what I do it shows a "no service" status in the top left.

I've tried resetting the network information as well as rebooting the handset a few times. If it's any help the device model is MC603C/A - iPhone4.

I'm worried my brother's purchased either a lemon, or an iPhone 4 with a blacklisted IMEI (assuming the blacklist IMEIs. I also see an ECID decimal and hex on TinyUmbrella though I'm not sure if they're unique to the handset).

I haven't gone into a Bell store due to the sheer embarrassment if it is blacklisted, and because the closest Bell store to me is an approximate 45 minute drive away, and even that's only a stand in a shopping mall.

If anyone's experienced a similar problem before or who could shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated!

2. gladoscc macrumors 6502

I sort of had this problem before! I'm in Australia, bought a brand new iPhone 4 from the apple store ($800 :/), used it for a couple of months. Suddenly, one day it had no service. No matter what I do, it says no service. I went to the apple store, and magically it started working.

3. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you in the end. I don't think I mentioned earlier that there aren't any Apple stores where I am (Nova Scotia) so I think I'm out of luck with that one :p

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

This is a long shot, but try and restore with iTunes. Activate it with your Bell SIM card.

P.S. Jailbreaking is NOT the same as unlocking. Simply jailbreaking the iPhone will not allow him to use it on Telus, and if you unlock with Ultrasn0w, it will not work seeing as how the iPhone 4 can only be unlocked if it has the 1.59.00 baseband it came with at its initial launch last June. Since he bought it recently, I'm going to go out and assume that it no longer has the 1.59.00 baseband. Currently, the only way you can unlock it is with the Gevey SIM which is available online.

I would try restoring and activating with your SIM first though!