iPhone 4 and 3GS activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PUTALE, Aug 1, 2010.

1. PUTALE macrumors member

I got a quick question. I currently have service with ATT and do not have any data plan. I do currently own a smartphone but had the phone early enough before ATT starts to require any data plan.

Now, I am thinking of buying a iPhone 4 or 3GS (not from ATT or Apple) to use with my current plan. Can I do it? would I still need to sign up for any data plan? Do I still need to activate my phone?

Would my 3G phone SIM from my smartphone works with 3GS without any issue?

I konw iPhone 4 uses MicroSIM card, can I go to ATT store and would they exchange my SIM to microSIM without any issue and requirement for any additional data plan or service?

2. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

All iPhones require a data plan when used on AT&T, it's as simple as that. As soon as they detect that you're using an iPhone (they will eventually) they'll kindly add that service to your monthly bill for you.

So the answer is no.

3. PUTALE thread starter macrumors member

I know that for new customer and new service it requires it but what about for existing customer with the same plan. As far as I am awared, ATT does not require any contract extension if I bought the phone myself. I have confirmed with ATT that my current plan and service, despite the fact I am using a smartphone, does not need any data plan at all. Would I still need to sign up for a plan?

can they still activate teh phone for me if I bring it to the store? (would they also switch the sim card for me?)

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

They will automatically convert your current plan to an iPhone plan with the $30 data plan. It's all automatic. Once the system knows you are using an iPhone with a non iPhone plan, it will change it for you with just a SMS saying it was switched.

It doesn't matter if you buy the phone from Apple/AT&T or a private person.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Actually it will convert him to the 250MB for $15 with no visual voicemail plan (so his current voicemails don't get deleted)

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Thats true. I forgot the $30 plan is no longer offered.

7. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

I'm sorry that my/our answers aren't what you want to hear but you're SOL.

Have an iPhone? You have to have a data plan. End of story.

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

As soon as your iPhones IMEI number is registered on AT&T's network, you would receive a text message letting you know that a data plan is required for the device that you are using. So, even if the rep. In the store doesn't add the data plan, one will be added anyway shortly afterwards.

9. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

My wife has never had a data plan. She put the SIM from her BB in my old 3GS almost a month ago and no data plan has been added, yet.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I would say she is just lucky it hasn't happened yet. There are a few people here and there that have never had the plan added by AT&T but it happens to most.

There is a big thread from about a month or two ago here about AT&T adding the plan to lots of people.

11. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Yet being the operative word here. Whi knows, maybe you'll get lucky. But don't count on it.

12. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

She has had two Blackberries in the last two years and now has my old 3GS. I doubt it, but I wonder if it has something to do with being on a family plan with one of the lines having data.