iPhone 4 and car stereos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kyleb822, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kyleb822 macrumors member

kyleb822

I have an iPhone 4 and want to use it to hook up to an aftermarket Pioneer stereo via USB. I was wondering if anyone has already done this and if anyone has had any issues. I don't have the stereo yet because I am a little wary of incompatibility because I have heard that iOS 4 has some issues with car stereos. Let me know if you have done this or if you have gotten it to work. Thanks

2. maximus.darby macrumors newbie

hmmmm, i know this doesn't really answer your questions as it's about a USB device,

but i've hooked mine up using Bluetooth to my car stereo, and haven't experienced any problems. It connects instantly and quality is amazing :)

3. PantherJeep macrumors member

PantherJeep

I'm connecting my iP4 to my Pioneer HU (DEH-P6000UB I think is the model; about 2 years old), and it seems to work OK via USB. Yeah I get the "device not designed for iPhone" message, but I got that with my 3G pre-iOS4 too, and it doesn't seem to affect operation. The HU can control the iPhone just fine, but I do occasionally get "Error -19" on the HU, in which case I need to reconnect the iPhone (and if it happens again, reboot the iPhone). In short, extremely minor quirkiness that doesn't really detract from using them together, and no new weirdness with iOS 4 devices.
    :)

4. Ctt713 macrumors member

I have one as well that is only about a year old. It works fine besides the occasional error 19. My gripe about the receiver though is you can no longer use your phone to change songs once it is connects which is a hassle. You have to manually scroll through the list function which is cumbersome if you have any amount of songs.

5. Marley macrumors member

Marley

Same with me. I have a Pioneer HU and my iPhone 4 works just fine, if not better than my 3G--it seems to connect faster and more reliably. I have the ability to control my music via the phone or the HU controls. Occasionally I'll get the error-19 message, but I can solve the problem easily if I just detach and reattach the face panel on my HU--no need for a phone reset.

6. jutte64 macrumors regular

i have a pioneer HU as well about a year old a 7000 series i believe. my 3g worked the same as eveyone elses but since the ios4 update i can stream music through the bluetooth. the phone works though. have had an issue to when i plug it in, after ios4, it would display "no songs". my iphone 4 seems to work fine besides the the bluetooth issue though.

7. actorkid macrumors 6502

I have the Pioneer Premier DEH-P710BT. Works flawlessly with my 3GS and iPhone 4. You can easily control the ipod interface right on the screen of the deck. Bluetooth streaming works great with no setup required. And the phone integration is great. Comes with a dual mic for noise canceling. Contacts, battery info, and signal strength are automatically displayed on the deck. Plus the voice commands built into the deck are great.

I don't know if you're looking to go this deluxe, but any pioneer deck that is "made for iPhone" like mine is should work seamlessly.

P.S.- I put the deck in my car a couple months ago, but it came out June '09.

8. pintnight macrumors 6502

Thanks for that! I also have the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB and was worried that the iOS4 would prevent me from connecting the phone. I listen to all of music exclusively with my iPhone.

9. overlyunderme macrumors regular

overlyunderme

Mine works fine with my Alpine head unit. No problems whatsoever.

Alpine IDA-X100

[​IMG]

10. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I have a brand new Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and it works flawlessly with my iPhone. I don't get the Error - 19 problems on the new unit but I did on my other 2-year old Pioneer HU (I forget the model number). The older HU I just had to reconnect the iPhone and it went away. I noticed this happened whenever I rebooted the iPhone and then wouldn't happen again until I rebooted it again.

11. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

This looks like a great unit. I am looking to upgrade mine and I am interested in a unit with Bluetooth capability. How does the music sound when you stream from the iPhone4 to the unit via Bluetooth?

Thanks

12. actorkid macrumors 6502

It really is a phenomenal HU. Not that expensive, with more than decent EQ settings. It's a great deck if you want your music to sound amazing, but don't want to go for a really expensive high end model.

It has a built in setting that converts digital files to CD-like quality. Streaming music over BT actually sounds surprisingly good. I would say it sounds just as good as it does when its plugged into the unit. I just prefer plugging it in because it charges the phone as well =].

13. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I recently bought a fairly inexpensive unit which works flawlessly with my iPhone4. I expected to get an error when I plug in through usb but I've had no problems so far.

Sony Xplod model number: CDX-GT440U

[​IMG]

14. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Blue-tooth Music Streaming is the way to go. I have a USB/iPod hookup and the Blue-tooth streaming and I never hook up my iPhone with the USB cable anymore. This way I can hop in my car, not plug anything in, and start playing tunes and when I stop the car I don't have to unhook anything. the iPhone will automatically pause/stop when it breaks the blue-tooth connection to the stereo.

The only disadvantage is you don't get to see the name of the song that is playing or be able to control the music from the stereo. This is not really a big deal since I prefer to control it directly from the iPhone anyway.

My other car has a factory hook up for an iPod/iPhone (no blue-tooth streaming) so I have to use the hook up with that one. One thing that is nice is your can control the iPhone from the controls on the steering wheel but one that that drives me nuts, is when you have you iPhone connected this way, it just displays "Accessory connected" and you can not change the music manually on the iPhone and you are forced to use the Stereo which can be quite a pain scrolling through long lists before getting to the right one. Many times I will get frustrated, unplug the iPhone, select the music I want to play, and then plug it back in.

The Sound is pretty Clean with the Blue-Tooth but I have noticed there is more "hiss" since I updated to 4.0 - Going to do some testing today with a 3G that has not been upgraded to 4.0 yet to see if there is a difference.

Below is a shot of what you will see if you have your stereo connected to your iPhone with a USB cable. You WILL NOT be able to control the music from the iPhone which kind of sucks. I wish they made it so you could control it from the stereo or the iPod/iPhone.

[​IMG]

15. actorkid macrumors 6502

Adding to what I said before, I should also note that when the phone is plugged in, there are options to control the music from the iPhone or from the screen on the HU, but I don't think you can do both at once.

When streaming over bluetooth, there is no way to control the music from the HU. You must control music straight from the phone. The only reason I don't like this is because if I'm streaming over bluetooth, I'd prefer just to leave my phone in my pocket so I can just hop in my car and not have to worry about anything. Just play my music automatically and go. Since I need to take my phone out of my pocket anyways, I just plug it in so it can charge.

16. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback!!

17. neurorob macrumors newbie

Hey, I bought this unit and I keep getting a NOT SUPPRT Message.
    Did you get this?

18. seifer333 macrumors member

the HU must be "ipod supported" right? I have a HU and it has a USB connector. However, the HU doesn't say "support ipod". I play mp3 on a usb thumb drive no problem but never tried the ipod/iphone.

19. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I have the same exact stereo... Love it. Love not having to plug it in. And thanks to iOS 4.1, I can change tracks via bluetooth if I want to. I get the best of both worlds using the bluetooth now - I can control my ipod through the radio, my steering wheel controls or the iphone 4 itself. Before, when plugging it into the USB, I couldn't change anything from the iphone itself. It would be locked.

[​IMG]

20. Steadyeddy macrumors newbie

Good evening to you all.

About 2 wks I purchased the Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth car kit. Lovely little shiny device that clips to the sun visor. The clip (very strong & sturdy) also doubles as the antennae.

Anyway , pairing with the iphone4 was an absolute doddle & was hooked up & paired for the first time in literally seconds.

The thing that attracted me to the Cruiser was the fact that it has an FM button which once pressed finds an FM frequency for you to tune your car stereo into. Once tuned , CRUISER appears on the radio & the frequency can be stored.

Anyway , once this is activated you can then play your iPod music through your car stereo speakers. The sound is just superb & I have no complaints at all. Whilst connected via the FM tuner , if a call comes through the music obviously stops & the caller also comes through the car speakers.

The sound quality with calls through the actual Bluetooth kit is also excellent. The sound is controlled via the volume rocker. I particularly like using my sat nav commands through the Bluetooth speaker & of course when playing music I have the sat nav set to quieten the music when giving command (Copilot)

The icing on the cake has to be from updating to 4.1 this week , I can now pause , Stop/play & skip tracks all from the Bluetooth device

Can't recommend the Cruiser enough.

21. boxstboy macrumors member

Is it possible to stream music like slacker over stereo Bluetooth to the HU? Thanks.

22. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

i have that same unit, works fine with ipod touch1 and iphone 4,

you can set it to be abel to crontrol from you iphone and headunit at the same time, brilliant player.

only cost me 100 quid on offer at halfords.

you seen the new xplod double head unit with tomtom built in? damnnnnn its nice.

actually, mine may be the next model up lol not sure,