Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Got my 32 GB iPhone 4 yesterday and set up as a new device using the same playlist of music that I used on my 32 3gs. I check marked the box to convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC just like I had in the past with the 3gs. With the 3gs it brought a playlist consisting of 4625 songs at 26.70 GB down to 17 GB. With the iPhone 4 synced it does the same in the drop down menu under devices then iPhone in Music then at the bottom it lists the playlist that I use, both read 4625 songs at 17 GB. At the summary page with the bar at the bottom it reads I have 23.29 GB of audio on the iPhone and unplugging going to settings then about it reads 4625 songs at 23.29 GB. So I only have 4.48 GB free when I should have around 9 or 10. I resynced twice to see if it would change with the same outcome, restored the device and called apple care with no answer on why it reads different. Going to the Apple Store tomorrow unless one of you has a solution to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mgirg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
Have you checked to make sure it isn't syncing all your audio books and podcasts as well. When I first set up mine, even though I restored from a backup it reset all my podcast an audiobook settings so on my first sync it moved across a lot of stuff I didn't want.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It might be worth checking anyway, as audiobooks and podcasts are grouped with music collectively as "audio" on that bar you're talking about. That's the only thing that would make sense.

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Thanks for taking the time, I checked and there are no podcasts or audiobooks on my computer or phone. "Genius"? bar couldn't come up with any reason why the capacity is incorrect. Going to restore it again like he said, anyone have any other ideas?

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Do you have a lot of voice memos? I believe those show up as audio as well and I know of no way to downconvert them to a smaller file size.

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
No voice memos either, but thanks. Both phones in front of me, 3GS and 4, the 3GS is correct and the 4 is messed up. Same playlist, same settings.

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Drops to zero. I deleting some music and synced normal without the convert 128 process and it shows 1 GB more than whats on the phone. I guess that's better 6 GB more. ??

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
You could go into the iTunes backups and libraries and delete those out. Go to preferences, Devices, Backups and delete. Just a shot in the dark. Maybe make a Genius appointment?

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
You could go into the iTunes backups and libraries and delete those out. Go to preferences, Devices, Backups and delete. Just a shot in the dark. Maybe make a Genius appointment?

Deleted all backups, and the genius didn't have a clue what's wrong. For some reason it just shows more audio than what's actually on it. Maybe an update in the future will fix.

bracyp

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
iPhone 4 OS

I know it's been a while since anyone replied on this but...

This is just a guess since I only have the iPhone 4 and never had any of the others. But could it be that the difference in available memory is due to the iPhone 4 having more of its memory being used for the OS. It does have more capability than the 3GS so more code has to be used to make those devices and features work.

Hopefully you've found out by now what was up.

couchmana

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Ipod Classic and iphone 4

Just curious if you found an answer to this. I am having the same problem with my Ipod Classic and iphone 4. The selection in itunes 10.5 to convert higher bitrate songs to lower 128 is not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.