iPhone 4 and Data plans

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trill2ride, Jul 11, 2010.

1. trill2ride macrumors newbie

I am currently using a regular dumb phone. I read a news article about how you could cut up a regular sim card and use it in the iPhone 4.

If I buy an iPhone 4 on ebay to avoid the data plan, can I still use this cut up sim card in the iPhone 4 and avoid the data plan?

Also, I read that At&t automatically detects that I am using an iPhone 4 without a data plan and forces me to get a data plan. Is this true?

The reason why I don't want the data plan is because I am on a college campus that is fully covered by Wifi.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You heard right. Att lately started adding data plans to iPhone lines with no data automatically.
    You might get away with it for a while until they notice it.

3. trill2ride thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

it's called stop being cheap and pay for data

5. Los macrumors regular

6. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

Dude give the OP a break. He's just asking a simple question. U don't have to be rude. Maybe he's got a lot of wifi and doesn't need the data

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    Eventually they will notice.
    You can then switch your simcard into a regural cellphone and call them and have them remove the iphone data plan.
    And then switch the sim again into your iphone till they catch you again and back and forth if you feel like playing the game.