iPhone 4 and Exchange 2007

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LePigeonBleu, Nov 14, 2010.

1. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

Hello!

I've searched all over this forum, google, and many other places to find an answer for this...

I have a MS Exchange email account setup just fine on my Mail.app on my iMac. I can't successfully get it configured on my iPhone 4 or on Outlook on my PC.

Anyone have any tips?

I would assume ActiveSync is enabled if I can get it on my iMac...

thanks,

mark

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unfortunately, that's not a correct assumption. OSX, Windows and iOS all use different methods to to connect to exchange. Windows uses MAPI, OS X uses exchange webservices and iOS uses exchange activesync. If you can connect with your Mac, then the webservices are running, but to connect with your iPhone you need to get Activesync enabled on the server for your account. Unless the server is on your LAN with your PC you will have to use a VPN, or RPC over HTTP to connect with the PC (which again requires configuration on the server to enable it)

3. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so I understand some of this.

OSX is fine, right? iOS, I would need to check with an admin to see if activesync is enabled? But, the server is NOT on my LAN. So does that mean my iPhone and PC can't hook up to the exchange server, or just my PC?

Thanks,

m

4. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Update:

I called Apple, and they had no reason it wouldn't connect. I called the company I worked for, and found out that once they installed Exchange 2007, "things got messed up."

Does anyone know of any workarounds so I can check my Exchange account on Outlook and on my iPhone? Again, it IS working on my iMac through Mail.

Thanks,

m

5. n0de macrumors 6502

Are you sure about the version of Exchange?

V2003 will work fine on the iPhone, but nothing else. OSX Mail (non-imap) and Outlook 2011 require v2007 or higher.

The iPhone will use OWA with 2003 just fine but the other programs mentioned have deprecated that type of comm.

6. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Positive.

That's at the bottom of http://mail.microsoftonline.com

m

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Maybe I am getting the wrong end of the stick, but that statement is wrong. The iPhone will connect to Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010.

Also, the iPhone doesn't use OWA, it uses EAS.

Unfortunately this totally requires you to get your IT Dept to fix this. Interesting domain tho, is your company using BPOS or a similar Microsoft hosted solution? If so, you might need some interaction from them as well.

8. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Not exactly sure what kind of solution they are using actually. I found out from Phil (thanks for everything again!) that my ActiveSync doesn't seem to be active, and when I called my IT guys, they refused to activate it.

Bah. Right now, I am using Webmail++. I much rather not. I want to use the Mail app. :-(

Thanks,

m