Iphone 4 and International travel

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theslaz, Aug 21, 2012.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Doing a Mediterranean cruise and have a iPhone 4 with firmware 4.12.01. Just would like to know what my options are with this phone. Would like to take it with in order to keep in contact with our group when necessary. Wouldn’t be using it for anything else as we will have an iPad for the internet. In doing research on this; it appears that some sites say they can unlock the phone; whilst some individuals say it can’t be done. I have contacted my provider ( Telus; Alberta; Canada) and they say they will unlock the phone for international travel at $50.00 a pop! Problem is; there are 5 iPhones in the group; mine being the only iPhone 4; the others are IPhone 3. Than there would be the cost of subscribing to a phone service for all 5 iPhones.

Would an App like “WhatsApp” be appropriate instead?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you're overestimating your communications requirements for your vacation. I'd just get several cheap "throwaway" GSM phones for one-off calls or occasional texts. You can still use the iPhones on wifi.

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.
    I think you are right. That is why I was looking at a texting/messaging app. Wouldn’t need the phones unless the group wanted to make a meet or needed directions! Something that could be done via texting. Maybe like you said; a local throw away that maybe needed for communicating with the locals in respect to our tours! And that shouldn’t even be a concern as our tours have all been pre booked!