iPhone 4 and iOS 6 question

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mrskullfreak, Sep 19, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

My daughters iPhone 4 8g won't let her Down load iOS 6 saying not enough space.
    She has very few apps and 400 pics on it.
    Any tips or info would be great.

2. fadij macrumors newbie

plug it in to the computer and download it the old fashion way

3. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I did not know u can do it that way??
    Never had the problem before doing it on wifi.

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Only 8g don't download ios6 it takes up too much space

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Best would be to do the update from iTunes iOS 6 itself is 600 mb but requires 2.5 gb of available space to do the install. I don't know if that space becomes available for apps and photos afterwards. Might not be worthwhile to update.

6. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I had exactly the same problem with exactly the same phone.

I ended up backing up my phone, then stripping virtually everything off the phone, including almost all apps, video and music, then downloading wirelessly.

Do NOT download via iTunes on your computer. Took me three hours of messing about and it ultimately didn't work. I recommend just doing it off the phone.

7. kaielement macrumors 65816

I have a 16gb iPhone 4. I tried at first to do it using itunes on my computer but in the instal it said that the version that was down loaded wasn't compatible with my phone(weird I know seeing as itues told me there was an update and asked me if I wanted to down load it so you would think it would know what phone I had and down load the right file). I then tried to do it right from the phone after three tries it still keeps giving me an error. This is getting me so mad. When I did the ios 5 update it was smooth as butter and didn't give me any problems. Oh well maybe it's for the better.

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Maybe wait til tomorrow.

9. chrisk1250 macrumors member

Honestly you might be better off scheduling an appointment with the Genius Bar and getting them to walk you through it.

10. kaielement macrumors 65816

It's funny that the update doesn't work and itunes won't even let me do a restore to my iPhone 4 just keeps telling me the device is not eligible for requested build. So weird.

By the way the phone still works it's just stuck on 5.1.1

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Ive read that some owners who were jail broken and then did a restore before attempting to update to iOS6 have had issues with errors.

12. kaielement macrumors 65816

I see. Well I was jailbroken the last time when I did ios 5 and no problem. Now granted I did lose my jail break no big deal I just rejailbroke it after the update. Well if this is true then this suck and means I might be stuck on 5.1.1 for a long time. Thanks Apple lol.

By the way my phone is jalebroken on ios 5.1.1

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Yeah it does suck. Remember tho its just what I've read. I'm stock so cannot say its a personnel
    Experience for me.

I assume you restored thro iTunes to remove the 5.1.1 jailbreak before attempting to update to ios6.

Also don't use a backup you made while Jailbroken as this puts redundant Cyrus files back into your iPhone which could be causing issues.

14. kaielement macrumors 65816

No just tried to do the update with out trying to do a restore. I didn't think to do this because the ios 5 update (and all the ios 5 updates for that matter) just updated no problem (I mean yes I lost my jailbreak but no big deal) Now iTunes won't let me even restore my iPhone back to factory setting (stock). It's getting me kind of mad. I did do a quick google search and no answer. Oh well not the worst thing in the world I will be getting the new iPhone in January and as of right now ios 5.1.1 isn't really all that bad. And on the plus side I get to keep google maps and my youtube app lol.

Side note is it just me or is it weird that there isn't more posts about this seeing as I can't be the only on this has happen to.

15. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

So, never had an iPhone before the 4S huh? ;)

Actually, you've never been able to do a full upgrade over wifi "before" - as that feature only became enabled with iOS5. Incremental (5.1.x) updates were not the same deal, space-wise.