Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
I get my wife's hand me down phones, currently the 4.

Anyone with a iPhone 4 seem to have a significant lag?

For example, after pressing Messages icon, I can count up to 4-one thousand before the Messages screen pops up.

Basically, it takes the apps 2-4 seconds now to open -- a 100-400% increase in lag.

Once the apps are in the background memory, they do open up quickly.

I hope the 4s does better since I will be getting that when my wife's 5s arrives.

Baconstripss

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
The 4s does.. ok. I really like the new design of iOS 7, control center, the new notification center and so on. BUT.. The speed.. What makes the iPhone so much better than all other phones seems to have disappeared. I really, really hope a update will fix the slow animation/loading times. I think they released the OS too early. It's not "Apple-worthy".

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
You're describing much more lag than I've experienced with my 4, but many folks report lag issues of this sort.

One possible difference is that I did a clean install. But even some folks who clean-installed have complained of lag in some circumstances.

After an upgrade like this, be sure to give your phone a good long time (perhaps a few hours) to finish the background processes like Spotlight indexing before you really judge it.

Take some time to go through your settings, turning off notifications and location services you don't really need.

I hope that you can end up as happy as I've been with iOS 7 on my ancient 4. Meanwhile I must admit: I succumbed to temptation and placed an order for a 5S...

wellingtonwimpy

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
I loaded OS 7 on my old iPhone 4 just to check it out, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it handled it. I think what you're noticing is not the OS but the phone and its processor, which seemed fast enough three years ago but moves like a snail compared to any current-generation smartphone. The iOS 7 animations (which take the same amount of time on any iPhone, including the 5s) just make it seem that much more sluggish.

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
Just have to deal with it

I like iOS7. I agree that it is the old processor technology. iOS7 is blazing fast on my latest generation iPad.

I have gotten better speed if I just let programs run in the background. I used to remove programs but now I try to keep them running so that switching is not so slow. The initial app start is painful.

Yes, I have turned as much as I can off in terms of notifications, diagnostics...etc.

I don't have to suffer to long. Once my wife gets her iP5s, then I will get her iP4s. I will send my iP4 to my father.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
yeah this is reminding me of trying to run ios 5 on a 3GS.
I've noticed that contacts is crazy slow. A few apps are slow and crashy the first time I open them, then get better?

Phanatic

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
NC
The current work around for the lag that is effecting some iPhone 4 users, especially concerning the keyboard functioning, is to turn off Documents & Data in Settings<iCloud.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
On a side note, when I try to install Crysis 3 on my 386 pc with 2mb of ram, I get a bunch of errors, what gives?

:rolleyes:

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
On a side note, when I try to install Crysis 3 on my 386 pc with 2mb of ram, I get a bunch of errors, what gives?

:rolleyes:
Crytek don't recommend 2mb of RAM. Apple released iOS 7 as an update for the iPhone 4. No need to be so snarky.

Having tested it before its release, it was quite clear it was a bit too much for the iPhone. I never bothered trying to turn off any of the effects.
On my 4S it's not perfect but it's usable. Feels like a tester for getting a more up to date phone, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.