Iphone 4 and Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by citywalk, Sep 3, 2010.

1. citywalk macrumors member

Is it just me or does anyone think buying both is a terrible idea!

If you have an iphone4 and now buying the Touch all your doing is buying an expensive memory card.

2. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Having / Carrying both makes no sense at all.

3. joe1946 macrumors regular

I don't have the iPhone 4 and ordered the 64GB iPod Touch G4 because I don't want to pay a monthly fee. My cell phone is on the family plan with my wifes phone with Verizon and she uses 90% of the monthly time. I just wanted the 802.11n for wi-fi internet use.

4. urbanj macrumors regular

I got the 16gb iphone 4 because I was planning on getting the 64gb touch.

Why? Because first and foremost I use the phone as a communication device. I want to maximize its battery life for those things. Using the phone as an ipod and gaming device, while great, ruins the whole experience. Playing a game and texts keep popping up pausing your game. it's annoying. same with music. having my phone plugged in a dock playing music or in my car doesnt allow me to communicate at the same time.

so for me, it makes sense

5. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

I guess if you have the money for it it's fine.

I'm going to use mine for a lot of stuff on campus where there is Wifi everywhere. I have an enV2 for calling and texting people. It does those 2 things really well. I'd like to get an iPhone, but almost everyone I know who has had AT&T hates it. Won't buy one until it's on Verizon. Although now that I'm getting the new iPod, I probably won't get the iPhone if it does come to Verizon any time soon.

6. zeppo2 macrumors member

I was planning to buy Ipod Touch 4 for the same reason. However, i am confused. I'm not savvy about this stuff. Did it turn out that the Ipod Touch 4 is slower on wifi than the Iphone 4?

I saw a post mentioning that the Ipod Touch 4 is still 2G. Confusing to me, and frustrating for me to try to sort out with a google search, because there is the 2G, 3G and new 4G phone network capabilities from what I understand, and then there are all these products, like the Ipod, which tag 3g, 4g and the like to their name, in reference to the generation of the product, not their capability.--- Dang.

I also am not sure about why they say the Ipod Touch 4 is still 2G (an erroneous reference perhaps?) because it won't use the phone network anyway, right? Of does the 2G, 3G, 4G network capability also dictate how the product performs on wifi?

Bottom line, I am asking if the Ipod Touch 4 will be a slower wifi performer than the Iphone 4.

Anyone know the answer to this?

7. asdasd213 macrumors newbie

2g/3g/4g has nothing to do with wifi.
    the 4 of ipod touch stands for 4th generation...

8. Code.Red macrumors regular

Wifi performance should be exactly the same, across the board. Even from a 1st generation iPod touch to the 4th. Although the 4th gen iPod touch (and iPhone 4) support the Wireless N standard while the older generations only support B and G, which is supposed to increase throughput. However, this shouldn't matter much as internet connections are much, much, much slower than the maximum speed of even Wireless B, the oldest of these wireless standards.

9. zeppo2 macrumors member

Thanks, guys. I think I may have come across some erroneous reference to 2G somewhere. I've spent a long time surfing around and I don't even know where I saw it now.

Here's what will make me get the Ipod Touch 4 over the Iphone 4 I think:

I already have AT&T but am out of contract.
    It would cost me an extra $15/month just for 200MB of data, or $25/month for 2GB data. I really don't find I care about having net access on my phone (currently don't have a smart phone) and don't anticipate that it would be worth either of those $ amounts to me.

I mainly want an mp3 player and something to run flashcard and to-do list apps. To have it combined with my phone would be nice, but I don't think having to pay for the internet that I don't really need makes having them on my phone worth it.

I figure I've gone this far without phone internet, and if I go another year, I've saved $180 ($15 x 12 months). By then, I might be glad that I didn't get the iphone 4 and find myself willing to put that $180 towards the new iphone 5 and lock myself into 2 years then instead of now.

So there's my logic. I hope that the wifi connection on the Ipod Touch will allow me to synch up my to-do list app if I turn out to pick some web-based app like Toodledo, and do so just as efficiently as the Iphone-- that I guess remains to be seen. I've never used a smart phone or ipod, so I'm not familiar with the apps. Just hoping I have no regrets that I waited another year (?) for an Iphone 5.

10. joe1946 macrumors regular

My D-Link DIR 655 Gigabit 802.11n Wireless Router is much faster than my old D-Link 802.11g router.

11. FirePak macrumors regular

Im having the opposite problem in a way, I bought an iPad at launch and its been taken over by my son. Im planning in january to get an iPhone 4 but I need something for the interim. I got an 8gb to basically use for 4 months or so. Hopefully I can gazelle it or something.