iPhone 4 and Kensington LiquidAux

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TB07-NJ, Jul 3, 2010.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

2. katgirl macrumors newbie

3. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Where have you found it for sale? I've been looking all over for it, but Kensington's website lists it as no longer available. I know they still sell the LiquidAux Deluxe, but the regular LiquidAux seems to have been discontinued.

4. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

5. watercrawl macrumors newbie

So what exactly is the point of this thing? You could do the same with a $10.00 car charger adaptor for the iPhone and a $10.00 mini-to-mini cable.

6. ihonda macrumors 68000

you can do it way cheaper, $1 car charger $1 cable charge cable $1 audio cable.. all on ebay

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the advantage of the liquidaux is it allows you to control the iPhone from the included remote, so its like having steering wheel mounted controls

also, audio output through the dock connector is higher quality than audio output through the headphone jack. The way this works is the iPhone outputs the audio through the dock connector, and then a cable attached to the liquidaux unit itself is what plugs into the aux port.

8. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

The Liquid Aux makes a much neater installation. Just one single wire coming from the dock connector of the phone rather than having wires from the top and the bottom. Plus you can control the phone remotely. You can also buy a 5 year old Krzr phone and use your tape/CD player instead of spending big bucks on an iPhone and it's service. There are lots of alternate ways to do things. :)

9. ihonda macrumors 68000

i agree its much cleaner but kensington is complete junk, ive had 4 of their window mounts break on me.

10. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Now there's a valid comparison. :rolleyes: I've used the LiquidAux for close to 3 years and never had an issue.

11. grinny11 macrumors regular

I used to have this before my car had iphone integration. I liked it. It was nice to just have one connector for my phone since i listen to music a lot. I know the separate cables are just one more cable to plug in, but a single dock and cable was just a little cleaner and little more convenient.

12. subzero123 macrumors member

This is so weird. I can find the deluxe version for a reasonable price, but it looks like the original has been discontinued and is now selling for 150-200$. I need a free hanging cable, not a mount (already have a custom mount). Anyone ever find a regular one anywhere for a decent price?

13. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm looking for one as well. :) eBay used to be loaded with them but now only the Deluxe. I wonder if you can "disassemble" the DLX and just retain the connector and cable. They are coming out with a new (cheaper) version without the remote (it's on their website) but according to an email from them it could be months before it's available.

I just ordered a "DELUXE" version for $19.99(!) + $6.00 shipping from MACMALL.COM. It looks like I can tear it apart to do what I need. I figure for $26 I can't go too far wrong. I have a custom mount as well, but I might be able to use "parts" of this.

14. motherFNbrandon macrumors newbie

15. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

PERFECT! Thank you. I cancelled the other order and ordered this. I only wish it came in black.

Edit: Actually I found a black one. It was $13.00 but it looks better. :)

16. Alex2287 macrumors newbie

I own it too...

I'm waiting for my iPhone 4 and own this aux kit as well. I heard from another forum that it doesn't charge the iPhone 4. Are you having that issue? Also, do you still get that same annoying message that says the accessory isn't compatable?

17. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Just found a seller on eBay with a bunch of them at a decent price.
    [​IMG] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110557303414

18. katgirl macrumors newbie

I haven't had any problems with it charging the iPhone 4. It works like a charm!

19. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Ditto. I got one from eBay and charging is working better than my old car kit. I was out for about 15 minutes with a 10% charge while listening to music.

20. extrachrispy macrumors regular

extrachrispy

You'll probably want to run an isolator between the iPhone and that 3.5mm jack to kill the GSM buzz, but otherwise, it looks like a heckuva deal.

21. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Monster makes a similar cable sans remote. Target and RS have it for $50 I bought mine off eBay for $20 and like it so far.

22. MarionCoste macrumors newbie

sound output

Hi all,

Guys with iPhone 4 and LiquidAUX, could you please perform the following test and give your feedback ?
    - Connect the LiquidAUX system to the iPhone dock connector
    - Do not plug the AUX cable into the car system
    - Play music from the iPhone

Does the iPhone built-in speaker output sounds or not ?

Thanks in advance.

23. katgirl macrumors newbie

No. The music is played through the car stereo via the dock connection/aux output.

24. davegreene macrumors newbie

If you're on a tight a budget then this and this cost about $6.

No remote control though.

My first post :)

25. MarionCoste macrumors newbie

Even if the LiquidAUX cable is not connected to the AUX-in port of the car stereo ?