iPhone 4 and Microcell combo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr8fl4295, Jun 29, 2010.

1. gr8fl4295 macrumors member

With all the reception problems, has anyone with a ATT microcell had a better experience?
    I live in a 4,000sqft concrete loft, sometimes the reception on my 3G is not the greatest. I also work from home, so having a good line is important.
    I was thinking of buying the microcell anyway to improve the reception.
    Good idea? Will it help the iPhone 4?

2. Drusso macrumors member

I got a microcell for my 3GS because I have absolutely no reception at my house. So when I connected it to my IPhone 4 it picked it up right away and I have not had less than 5 bars in my house with it, even with the reception issue. I have tried to recreate the issue but I could not get the bars to drop. It may be worth you looking into

3. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I'm facinated w/ this device for some reason. Even though my reception is decent (I stay mainly around 4 bars but my signal tends to wander at times to the point of 1 bar).

4. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

5. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So if your iPhone is connected to wifi and you have a Microcell, then it's just the same as not having the MC at all? Calls eat minutes, data eats nothing (since it's using your home internet)?

7. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Eh ... well sorta. You still get pristine call signal and texts don't lag/get lost due to poor signal or tower hopping. I suppose.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Sorry, I meant in terms of billing.

If I have a Microcell and wifi in my house, when I make a call I use minutes, but when I surf the 'net I am not using my data plan because I'm on wifi. Is that correct?

9. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

As I understand it yes. I'd ask the same question to ATT though before I handed over my credit card though.

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I will by trying to get one for free (or at least at a discount from the $150 price). Probably won't happen, but if they want me to keep my family on AT&T instead of leaving for Verizon or Sprint, they should consider it.

My contract is up on July 12, pretty much just in time for the EVO to get back in stock at Sprint and for the Droid X to start shipping from Verizon.

11. gboykin macrumors newbie

I have the macrocell, as I have no (zero) servive in my home. With MC, I have full 5 bars, and very few dropped calls. Highly recommend.

12. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Bought a microcell when I got my iPhone 4. Five bars all the time. And yes, turn on wifi so you use that for data on your iPhone.

13. Resist macrumors 68030

Just so I understand this correctly, AT&T wants customers to pay $50 (after the $150 discount), for their Microcell so we can have good call coverage inside our homes? Which is something that we should already have and what we pay for.

The Microcell uses our own internet access, to make 3G calls. Which is similar to how our iPhone uses Wifi for data with our wireless home network.

Seems to me AT&T should be handing out these Microcells to customers for free, to help boost their crappy signals. These devices are using the internet connections that we pay for.

14. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

Can someone tell me where you purchase the Microcell device at. I have looked all over the AT&T site and can't seem to find it. I can find where you add the $20 a month plan. My sister is interested in it and trying to find info on it. Thanks.

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

At an ATT store.

16. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

At Attwireless.com do a search for microcell. You'll get the landing page. Not sure why its not more prominent, but me thinks they are loathe to change their site too much to drive more traffic during iPhone season.

Any others w/ a Microcell and iPhone?

17. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Because some of us also live in towns where cell towers are widely opposed.

18. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

If you look at it that way, yes, it is kind of a ripoff, but you have to remember that AT&T still has to do something with your the "data" for voice calls to route it to the appropriate place once it gets back out of the Internet on their end.

The $20/month unlimited calling from a MicroCell was probably their idea to sweeten the deal, and to compete with services like Vonage and Comcast's phone service.

I bought a MicroCell for my dad (who moved over from landline in a 1-bar AT&T area) and he's been pretty happy with it. It's a pretty simple to use device that works as advertised.

19. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin