iPhone 4 and MMS2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Agent-W, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Agent-W macrumors member

Hi All,

I don't know if it's been mentioned before (it's not on Apple's website), but the new iPhone will run on the MMS2 platform (on O2UK anyway).

It will be the first phone to run on the MMS2 platform on the O2 network.

For those that don't know, MMS allows for 300kb, whereas MMS2 allows for 2MB. So you can send higher res pictures, longer videos, more text etc.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this - I think it's great!

Thanks,
    Agent-W

2. Peligroso macrumors member

Peligroso

Well lets hope that this works on AT&T, higher quality video MMS anyone?

3. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Wow i havent heard of that before. Given the fact the iPhone 4 has hi-def video and a better camera, it would only make sense to upgrade the quality of pictures and videos sent. However, I doubt AT&T would make that move at least in the near future anyways.

4. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

5. Agent-W thread starter macrumors member

MMS2 won't come out of the data cap - it's charged @ 20p a message.

There is talk that O2 will allow all MMS2 to be free until September - it's just something I heard banded about though, so I wouldn't place too much faith in it.

I thought it would have been mentioned on the Apple site, but I can't see it anywhere?

I'm not sure if it will be on AT&T - can only be sure of O2!

6. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

Maybe this could be the reason why O2 has switched from just having an MMS counting as 3 txts from your allowance due to the increase of file size.
    Now it's unlimited txts and 20p for an MMS. Would explain the move more but not heard this advertised anywhere as of yet, but definatly makes sense. Sounds real good that being able to send a video clip for 20p makes more for value.

7. Gigzz macrumors regular

Here in the US AT&T forces users to pay for texting, and then on top of that subtracts the data used to send those texts from our monthly data plans.

8. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Are there any links about this on Apple/O2's website? Interesting, although I'm much more likely to send a 2mb email than 2mb txt.

9. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

OMG, i thought it was ripoff Britain. I guess its migrating to you guys in the US

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I'm sure the iPhone 4 will still down-res the photo to look like crap even on "MMS2".