Iphone 4 and new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by artofdesign, Feb 16, 2011.

1. artofdesign macrumors member

Please help me if you can.

I have an iphone 4 and it syncs to my desktop. (PC)

I am getting a laptop today. (PC)

How do I change my iphone 4 over?

Last time I tried to plug my iphone into a new computer it erased all data on my iphone and was a huge headache.

I want to be able to sync my iphone to my laptop from now on, and not lose an data/settings.

(I will be transferring all my music over to the laptop)

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'd write down a list of all the stuff you want to transfer over.

Since you're running a PC, I'm not sure which program you use for contacts, but you'll need to export those contacts to the new PC and import them into the program you intend to tell iTunes to sync to.

For all the iTunes stuff (apps, music, etc.). You can export your iTunes library via an external hard drive. Research this a bit, it's not hard but does require a bit of tweaking in terms of the data folder when you transfer it over.

Not sure what else you'll need to move over, so again...make a list.

In terms of keeping existing text messages, and call history I'm not sure if this is possible. You'll probably end up losing that stuff.

1. Install iTunes on new PC
    2. Transfer everything over to the new PC before syncing the phone.
    3. Ensure your iTunes library plays correctly on your new PC (register the new computer with your Apple ID)
    4. Set iTunes up and disable the auto sync function for the first sync.
    5. Go through all the settings in iTunes to ensure you have all the sync options set up the way you want them.
    6. Sync.

I did this about a year ago, and it wasn't overly difficult. As I remember, transferring the iTunes library was about the most difficult step (because my library was fairly large 40 gigs).

Hopefully, others will contribute and provide some other techniques.

Cosmo

3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Been there, done that.

Easy too.

1. Copy over you're entire itunes music folder. Just send the whole thing over.
    2. Authenticate your account in itunes (authorize i think they call it).

Your sync info is stored in the itunes folder so that should all transfer.

I've done this with Windows and Mac.
    On mac the folder is just called Music in your Home directory
    On Windows its in your user folder and can be called either Music or My Music.