iPhone 4 and Shocking Headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlpoore89, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I have never had this happen with my previous iPhones, but when I walk across carpet (either barefoot or with socks) while listening to music on my iPhone 4 while it's in my pocket I get a static discharge between my headphones and my ears.

I think its a combo of the fact that the headphone jack is connected to the metal band which is touching the inside of my pockets which is collecting static buildup while I walk. And I have the Apple In-Ear Headphones which have that metal piece on the headphone piece which has a slight gap from my ear to allow for an arc discharge.

Does anyone else have this weird problem? And it really is a weird feeling problem lol.
  2. maus macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2010
    This has happened to me before, and it wasn't with an iPhone. It hurts like a b****, so whenever I'm getting out of a car in the winter or know I've collected some static, I make sure I take my earphones out of my ears before I ground myself.
  3. MicroApple macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2010
    People have the wierdest problems... lol

Can't you just put a rubber cover over the headbuds?
  4. barachus macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2010
    sorry, but that is just hilarious!:D

5. 199708 macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2008
    Think different

Put them in your nose.

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2010
    LAWL!! :D
  7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

Jun 23, 2010

PMSL!! whilst ROFL!!:D
  8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Jul 24, 2009
    If you look the headphone jack is isolated from the steel band.
  9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Apr 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    It seems after getting a little mosit from sweating at the gym mine are doing small little shocks and I get a loud buzzing noise when listening to music at the Gym, so I have stopped using headphones because the loud humming is annoying and the static shocks well they are not fun either.

Seems to be a moisture issue if you ask me, but not sure if anyone uses them while they are sweating either:rolleyes:
  10. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2010
    Guelph ON, Canada
  11. fluffer macrumors member

Jun 3, 2009
    .... or a damn dehumidifier, no point in making the air more humid?