iPhone 4 and sim recognition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmmo20, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hello,

My iphone 4 is great but I have a tiny problem, that worries me and never happened before with my previous iphone 3G.

Basically whenever I remove the SIM tray, the iphone takes like 4-5 seconds to "realise" the sim was removed.

When I put the sim tray back in, it's worse, because the iPhone won't detect that I put it back in. It can stay for hours (e.g. last night for 8 hours) sitting there with the "No sim" message but the sim tray right in there! The only thing I can do to force the iphone to "see" the sim card is to turn on the airplane mode. Then it detects the new sim almost instantly.

I know it's such a tiny thing, and it doesn't affect my every day iphone usage.
    Am I the only one with an iphone 4 having this kind of behaviour?

I'd say it's gotten worse since I updated to the 4.1 GM, so I guess it could be a bug on the baseband firmware (I tried restorign to 4.0.2 and the same behaviour reproduced)

What you guys think?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It shouldn't be doing that. Take it to apple for a replacement.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Sounds like you are removing the SIM while the phone is on. Shouldn't the phone be powered off when the SIM card is taken out? At the very least restarted if it is not being recognized. If that fixes the problem it sounds like it's not an issue.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It shouldn't matter.

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I had this issue with my 3GS did a network setting reset and it solved it...

6. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually restored it last night and before I recover from any backup, saw the problem happening on me.. so it shouldn't be issue with the network settings, I think

7. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

OK Just gave it a try but resetting the network settings didn't solve this issue.

I guess it could be a baseband firmware bug. I'll wait and see what upcoming firmware updates bring me :)

8. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164