iphone 4 and skype

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zOdeac, Jun 12, 2011.

1. zOdeac macrumors member

Anyone know of a way to get notifications with the iPhone that some one is calling you with Skype or the chat without the big battery drain by keeping Skype running?

All i really care is for the notifications and ill lunch Skype.

I read a lot about battery drains from it i just want to get some push notification or a pull some how so it don't eat my battery so much.

2. Annerz macrumors regular

In settings you can turn on alert notifications for skype

3. zOdeac thread starter macrumors member

Yes i have that set to on but still don't get notifications. Just looking for a way to get notified when i have a message without having to keep skype in the back ground there has to be a way.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

How would the app push notifications if isn't running?:confused:

5. zOdeac thread starter macrumors member

I guess its just wishful thinking to have a notification app that's not the full app so it don't eat the battery.

Love Skype use it so much but wish i could have it when i leave the house for hours.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If Skype isn't running then it's not on...it's like wanting to get your email when you're not logged into your account :p Plus, Skype doesn't take much to leave on at all, especially with the iPhone 4 battery.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I don't have people calling me on Skype(I use to call out) so I wouldn't know if it notifies or not. I'll test it out tho.

Same way the rest of the apps do. Example(Google Voice) :D

8. Surely Guest

Surely

If that app wasn't opened at least once, I don't think the notifications work.

9. zOdeac thread starter macrumors member

I have opened it once so i see the notifications its just i dont get them unless the app is runing. I was hoping it would give me some notification like the facebook app does. I dont have it running but still get messages if i have it open once.

I just downloaded something called IM+ Pro 5.1. Ill try it and see if it sucks the battery like skype. We use skype for international calls from other contrary to ours so its just not outgoing its incoming im hoping to figure out more.

I guess if i have to much problem i can buy a lot of Magic jacks and send them with US phone numbers so they can call me normally just.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^I'm pretty sure that you get those Facebook notifications because it is running. Swipe through your open apps, and it'll be there.

11. zOdeac thread starter macrumors member

Ok now that's cool just installed that IM+ Pro for $9.99 setup my skype to it and quit the program. Used my wife's skype to send me a message and got it with the application closed. Now i rebooted my phone without even running IM+ pro then did a test message again from my wife's account and still got the message.

Just what i was looking for i just hope the IM+ don't eat my battery that much even though it shows its not running.

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

That hasn't been my experience. Leaving Skype running has been a huge battery drain for me. Most other apps that use push notification aren't actually running in the background, they are just using the push service. Skype is the exception in that it actively runs in the background (as VOIP apps can) and I find that it kills the battery.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It'd be nice if iOS5 had toggles for enabling/disabling background running for a given app and for 'Run in background from start-up'. [Waits for avalanche of posts re: JBing]

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Are you talking about Skype or Google Voice? Cause I get notifications even when GV is closed. Sometimes I don't use it for days, but never miss a text or called notify.

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple only allows certain applications to run in the background.

VOIP applications (like Skype) are one such type of application.

The battery drain is inevitable if you want to be able to receive calls.

Push Notifications don't require an App to be running on the device.

16. bripab007 macrumors 6502

The Skype app apparently does not use Apple's Push Notification Service (APNS), as it's not one of the apps registered in Settings > Notifications >.

That would indicate that it only sends notifications when running in the background. I would guess they did this in hopes of having faster, more reliable notifications on incoming calls, etc.