iphone 4 and threading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Allan in T.Dot, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Heads up, I normally do mroogle this but didn't want to spend that much time. The reason why I ask is because there are no shortcuts to these items. And since I don't use these items very often, it always takes me a bit to activate/deactivate them.

Q1: If I leave USB tethering on, but don't have my iphone plugged in to the mac, does it drain battery life?

Q2: Same question also goes for wi-fi. Does the wi-fi keep searching and drain battery life?

Thanks all!

2. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Can't comment on #1, but as far as Wifi it will gradually suck juice if you leave it on. We're not talking a ton, but I always turn mine off if I know I'm not going to be using it.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You can save some battery life by turning off the "Ask to join networks" setting in the Wifi preferences. It wont pop up each time you're in range of an open wifi network, but it'll at least auto-join known networks you've used before.

4. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Nice! I didn't even realize that. I always got annoyed when I would be driving around and constantly got the pop-up. Didn't pay attention in iPhone class I guess. :D