Iphone 4 and tmobile g2 question....plz reply :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipad3g, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ipad3g macrumors member

Ok guys, i have a question.

First let me give you some info, Im an iOS fan, and my brother is an android fan. Ofcourse i have an iphone 4 and he has the tmobile g2.

Heres my question: we both go to mobilespeedtest.net on my iphone 4 i get about 3mbps, and he gets 21mbps!!!!!!! How the heck is that even possible!!!???? Seriously that makes no sense to me, and no he's not on wifi.

He tells me its tmobiles "fake" 4g network, but i mean sprints wimax doesnt even get 21mbps! (of course 21 mbps was only one time, his avg is 12mbps) but i just dont get it, i have at&t uverse at home and i get 15mbps, how can a cell phone thats not even on real 4g (LTE or Wimax) get speeds above 10mbps??

i know tmobile has hspa+
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/02/t-mobile-moves-up-to-75-live-hspa-markets-says-its-running/

but i mean at&t and verizon announced their LTE plans an say they will get anywhere from 10mbps to 20 mbps, so how the heck does tmobile hspa+ get these speeds?

2. RobinHo0d, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

RobinHo0d macrumors member

Whether you think T-Mobile's HSPA+ is "fake" 4G or not, it's actually faster than Sprint's 4G network. T-Mobile is not joking around.

And just wanted to add this fact: Sprint's WiMax isn't 4G either and neither is LTE.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

An average consumer would give a crap about whether your coverage is 4G or not. They would care about coverage and how fast it is. T-mobile HSPA+ is indeed very fast, but what about coverage and phone selections? T-mobile has lower monthly plans than other carriers, but they are still number 4 carrier in the US for a reason.

From where I live, T-mobile gets ****** reception. With my AT&T iPhone 4, I get 5MB down and 2MB up. I am pretty satisfied with that. Besides, I don't like either G2 or Vibrant on t-Mobile. I would be more leaning towards to Epic 4G or Droid X. It all comes down to your preferences.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

To be honest...
    T-mobile has like what 30 million customers?
    AT&T and Verizon has like what.. over 92 million customers on each carriers. You have to consider the bandwidth...
    With that many customers around the tower, it is inevitable that your data speeds will slow down.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

As of this post, T-Mobile has the fastest data speeds in markets where they have HSPA+ available.

Ignoring the rivalry between you and your brother... you should realize that neither your phone, nor your network are the most advanced devices out there.

If you like iOS, then you should be happy with it. iPhone is one of the better phones out there. If you need to have the latest, the greatest, and the fastest... then you're using the wrong phone and you're on the wrong network.

To quote a comic:
    "Everything is amazing and no one is satisfied!"

6. ipad3g thread starter macrumors member

thank you everyone! I had fell asleep after i posted it, but now i have a better understanding of it, with all of these great replies, and really like that last quote!

BGR posted this article earlier today, relates to this this post so i thought id post the link:

http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/03/the-4g-forgery/

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'd say its all relative as to your location.

Sure, 4G is faster than 3G. And T-Mobile isn't playing around. They're going to use this speed to gain an advantage over the likes of AT&T.
    This is where the "but" comes in.

BUT.....that 4G is only available in a very limited amount of locations. It goes back to that Verizon 3G vs AT&T 3G maps thing.

I'm in Dallas. Great 3G speeds. Go north about 50 miles, Tmobile would barely get edge probably.

8. sullen macrumors newbie

you said it right there, 21m/s one time....

i tether my sprint 3g connection frequently, one time i was downloading a file at 60m/s (!!),
    however, one time and one time only did this happen, rarely do i see more than 8 or 9m/s if i have to download something with the phone as a connection..