iPhone 4 and Tomtom car kit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmmo20, Jun 7, 2010.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Do you guys think the new iphone is compatible with the tomtom car kit?

2. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Since the dimensions are different, I doubt it will fit in the holder correctly.

3. fredericpintens macrumors newbie

It won't fit. The new iPhone 4 is smaller and flat at the back. The dimensions are indeed different, and the holder was made for a rounded back, so it won't fit. The new iPhone is even a bit bigger.

Too bad for the money we've spend on the TomTom carkit... :(

4. uneek1 macrumors regular

At first you say the iPhone 4 is smaller. Then you say it is bigger?

I don't think we will know until someone tries it.
    It might not be a snug fit, but might fit well enough to negate another $120 purchase for the car kit.

5. pdmpolishing macrumors member

Hopefully it should fit.

3GS iP4

H 115.5mm 115.2mm
    w 62.1mm 58.6mm

seeing the iP4 is thinner it should fit in the cradle even with flat back. I would think the hight dimension is the most important due to the fact this is where iPhone is clamped to the cradle.

6. Noxa macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying the iPhone TomTom carkit. But I'll think we better wait for someone with the current cradle and the new iPhone 4 to do a fitting session and let us know the results.

As far as I can tell the only dimensional difference is a 0,3mm difference in hight witch I think would be no problem for the carkit correct me if I'm wrong.

7. FieldyFace macrumors newbie

TomTom Car Kit & iPhone 4

Hello all, I've just joined this forum after asking myself the same question- "Will the TomTom car kit fit iPhone 4"?

Follow the link, this should satisfy all your questions!
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX529ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

8. Noxa macrumors newbie

The Dutch Apple store suggest the same. (http://store.apple.com/nl/product/TX529?mco=MTM3NTEyMjA) Only the US Store doesnt give any information pending the TomTom iPhone 4 issue. Since there are iPhone 4 units in the wild there probably is someone who can test it for us.

9. funkpnut macrumors newbie

My iPhone just got dropped off at work.

There are two potential issues fit.

First, the 3G/3GS have rounded edges, allowing the top part of the cradle to flex allowing the phone to just pop in. The roller at the top rolls across the smooth curved edges great.

The iPhone 4 has the silver trim piece that runs around the side of the phone. It has square edges. Once the top of the cradle hits that edge, it gets stuck a bit (think about a basketball on stairs). As I did not want to already damage my phone in the first 2 minutes of ownership, I pulled the top of the cradle back a bit (how it would naturally flex when inserting a 3G/3GS) and the phone popped in fine and seems to fit snug.

Also since the phone is thinner, it does not touch the back of the cradle, which doesn't really seem to be a big deal.

I have not actually tried to see if the phone recognizes the cradle or not in the TomTom application.

I apologize for the poor pics, but at least its something to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try to take some pics later if I can find a better camera to use.

10. firemed509 macrumors newbie

Ok my iphone 4 arrived today, went to put it in my TomTom car kit. It fits but would not connect to the bluetooth or charger. So instanly I got pissed off. Then decided to take a closer look. In order for the phone to connect to the car kit it needs to completly click in which it does but since it is thinner it is not allowing the docking port to rock all the way back. So I rolled a piece of paper and placed behind the iphone 4 and it worked. So I'm thinking they will come up with a fix in the near future, if not i can make a simple mod to fix it.

11. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

Has anyone posted a video of the TomTom app multi-tasking? Supposedly it can take a call in the background while continuing to show the turn-by-turn directions (as opposed to taking the cal in the foreground while providing voice directions in the background), I didn't think this was part of the multi-tasking APIs... Any insight?

12. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

You could do this before with the TomTom app or any app for that matter. When you get a phone call, accept the call. Go back to TomTom either by going to the home screen or using the app switcher. Phone call continues in background. To hang up, go back to the home screen and click the big green bar at the top.

What's new with this update is the ability to hear directions when the app is closed. So, now you have more options for navigating while using the phone or other apps.

13. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

Yeah, the problem with that is that it rips you out of the navigation app, hopefully Apple will add an API that allows users to take calls from WITHIN the app, maybe even have some basic phone functions available from within the app as well...

14. junkmail macrumors newbie

Do you think a piece of foam or felt stuck to the tomtom car kit would work? I doubt tomtom will fix this problem and if it is as easy as you said, I will just find something to stick in there. I was having trouble with my new iphone working with my car kit and found this forum, I haven't tried your fix yet. Thanks.