Iphone 4 and Ultimate Ears 4vi , reverb / Echo

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by atlfilmguy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. atlfilmguy macrumors newbie

I have the ultimate ears 4vi headset. It was great with my 3g iphone. But with the iphone 4 I get horrible reverb in the ear buds. I really hear it when I am speaking and the 4vi microphone is used.

I can turn the volume all the way down and still hear my microphone in my ears.
    I thought it might be an issue with the noise cancelling mic on the phone so I covered it- no love.

I called ultimate ears and the CSR was less than knowledgeable or helpful. Basically said" uhh, i guess it don't work."

Anyone else have this?
    Is there a work around?
    These headphones cost like 150. I dont want to just ditch them...

2. jprice312 macrumors newbie

Same issue here

I have the UE 10vi and the reverb during a phone call is amazing. I have tried the Shure 115m+ and the Apple headphones and not had this issue. I am not sure if this is a software or hardware issue. I used the same headset with my 3gs and there was no issue so it could be an issue with the iPhone 4 noise cancelation mic/software

3. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I've had an issue with an echo/reverb sound. glad it's not just me. it's not consistant. i'm just using the apple headphones though. i haven't used any real headphones yet. i've got some shure e5c's and shure 480's that i'll give a whirl soon. i find it worst while on the phone in smaller rooms but notice it yesterday while walking the dog too and with my phone in my pocket too. never heard it while listening to music.

4. atlfilmguy thread starter macrumors newbie

my friend reports the same issue with another set of after market headphones - UE super fi 5.

I tried the old 3g headphones that came with the Iphone 3g: NO problem.

5. atlfilmguy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. csglinux macrumors member

Same poblem - reverb in earpiece on iPhone 4 headset call

I have the same problem with the Etymotic HF2s, Monster Turbine Gold + controlTalk and even Apple's own in-ear buds. It seems somebody at Apple thought it would be a good idea if the sound from the wired headset mic on an iPhone 4 was amplified and routed through to the earpieces. This "feature" didn't exist with any of the prior iPhone models. I've confirmed the problem with my local Apple store reps using several of their floor iPhone 4 models and using several of their own headsets (in addition to my own, listed above). Apple weren't able to resolve the problem and their only suggestion was that I leave feedback on Apple's website (perhaps somebody at Apple reads that feedback, but nobody will ever respond).

Here's how you can confirm this problem with an iPhone 4 and ANY wired headset... Make a call using your iPhone 4 with your wired headset. Once the call is active, try tapping on your wired mic. You will hear the tapping sound amplified in both earpieces. It isn't quite as egregious with Apple's own headsets, because they simply aren't very sensitive, but with a decent pair of sound-isolating in-ear headphones, the mic sound in your own ears is annoying enough to drive you insane!

I get that Apple might want to heighten our situational awareness, in the event we want to make a call during the middle of a combat operation in a dangerous Afghan suburb (BTW, in such a situation, don't use ipod mode! - there's no ambient sound played through the headset in ipod mode - only in the phone app), but for everybody else, wouldn't it be nice to have the choice NOT to have the noisy freeway, airport, etc., blasted into your own ears? After all, isn't that why we bought the f$&#ing noise-isolating headphones in the first place?! Apple screwed up on this one and I'm not aware of any fix for it.