Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Looking forward to the pics of the black Bumper. With your photography skills, they will come out amazing.

Thanks for the compliments, NeuralControl! I appreciate the great feedback I've gotten from my pictures, didn't expect it to be on the front of macrumors either or even 9to5mac, maybe i should do more reviews then to help out fellow Apple fanboys and girls.

This has definitely looked way better than I thought as well. I will give you guys all an update after the one week, two week, and one month mark to show you the health of the bumper after general everyday use.

As some have said, the actualy color and one on the apple website does different on many factors including your own monitor settings, contrast, and of course how photo edited the apple photos are (I doubt they come straight from the camera without any post-processing).

As for camera I'm using for these shots, I am using a Nikon D3 and my trusty 24-70mm 2.8 lens. I am trying to improve upon my photography and review skills and hopefully with all of your positive feedback so far, I may have to put some effort into developing my review writing skills and photography skills, so others can be better informed.

Feel free to give me any feedback, I will try to post pictures of the black and pink bumpers on my black phone. (*Note - the pink is for my wife's non-existent white phone, come on apple, let us preorder already!!)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
great pictures, apple should hook you up with some referral money. I think you just got me sold on one.

doyle369

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Where to buy this case from

any UK sites?

_BAH5419.jpg

Tonezorz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
So I also just received my white bumper, and while I have to say it looks very nice and serves its purpose, its... loose. I can put 2 fingers on either side of the phone and "rotate" if you will the bumper a little bit. Its not too much, but it makes it feel like I'm going to drop it whenever I handle the phone.

I was expecting the bumper to add traction, and I honestly feel like between the smooth plastic and the fact its ever so loose fitting, that I actually have less control over the device than I did before.

OP, have you this issue with yours? and has anyone else experienced it with any of theirs / other colors?

Thanks

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
feel???

how do you feel if you were to drop you iphone with the bumper? do you think it ould do a great job for protection?

how about does it stick to theinside of your pockets when putting it in or pulling out?

and does it make it hard to hit the power of volumn buttons?

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
So I also just received my white bumper, and while I have to say it looks very nice and serves its purpose, its... loose. I can put 2 fingers on either side of the phone and "rotate" if you will the bumper a little bit. Its not too much, but it makes it feel like I'm going to drop it whenever I handle the phone.

I was expecting the bumper to add traction, and I honestly feel like between the smooth plastic and the fact its ever so loose fitting, that I actually have less control over the device than I did before.

OP, have you this issue with yours? and has anyone else experienced it with any of theirs / other colors?

Thanks

I have not had any issues of fitment, actually I felt that this white case fit much better than the black case, my case does not squirm at all, unlike some other posts that have said that the area where the sleep button is will squirm a bit. But I can see the tolerance issues coming up, I would think you could take it to the apple store and they'll exchange it for you since what you describe seems something that is way out of normal tolerances even with rubber and plastic.

fanth0m

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
that first image looks like you have a anti-glare screen protector on the front. is that right?

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
fanth0m said:
that first image looks like you have a anti-glare screen protector on the front. is that right?

There is no antiglare, it looks that way due to the depth of field setting, so the focus area is shallow making other parts of the picture appear blurry. Sorry for the misconception.

fanth0m

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
There is no antiglare, it looks that way due to the depth of field setting, so the focus area is shallow making other parts of the picture appear blurry. Sorry for the misconception.

okay. that makes sense. thanks. i guess i'll have to wait till late july for the powersupport films.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
how do you feel if you were to drop you iphone with the bumper? do you think it ould do a great job for protection?

how about does it stick to theinside of your pockets when putting it in or pulling out?

and does it make it hard to hit the power of volumn buttons?

I think the bumpers provide adequate drop only if it drops in such a way that it makes contact with the bumper first. This is obviously not the case for maximum protection, but it still does protect protection. But remember, yes, cases help against dropping, but we still need to do our best in not dropping phones and multitasking in such a way that we drop things.

As for pulling in and out the phone from the pocket, there is no apparent stickiness like the silicone cases. I think the rubber may have a slicker coating on top so it doesn't stick. *Note, I realize some colors rubbers are different, the black one I have is soft rubber while the white one is more slick and stiffer, so YMMV.

From a mechanical/manufacturing standpoint, apple has been very good at designing buttons and it shows on these bumper cases. If you ever ask another mechanical engineer, how hard it is to make external buttons like those on the bumper feel good through design and material since there are tolerances to account for both on the metal button as well as the rubber bumper and plastic tolerances for the bumper buttons. So in summary, the buttons feel almost exactly how they feel on the phone itself.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
great pictures, apple should hook you up with some referral money. I think you just got me sold on one.

haha. Thanks for the comments, but I doubt a company so big cares about pictures like this, wish they would, but it's highly doubtful they would compensate in any way, i guess many do this on the forums, at least, to help others decide. :)

Kendio7

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
I think these shots have just helped me decide between the white and black iPhone, awesome.

Also any chance you could post a picture with the homescreen showing? Thanks.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
i have a white bumper waiting at my house from being dropped off earlier this week. I currently have a black one on my phone and it fits great. feels like part of the phone. I have been waiting for my white one since i originally ordered the iphone, finally came and im out of town. I really hope the white one fits as snug as the black one i have now. After reading that post i wonder if they vary a lot.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
How the heck are people getting white bumpers before the supposed-July 16 date on the Apple Store? I wanted to place an order, and I even called about the "signal issue" for a possible "free bumper," but all they kept saying is that no white bumpers will be going out before the 16th.

creeman

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
How the heck are people getting white bumpers before the supposed-July 16 date on the Apple Store? I wanted to place an order, and I even called about the "signal issue" for a possible "free bumper," but all they kept saying is that no white bumpers will be going out before the 16th.

Im wondering the same exact thing. I ordered a white bumper in hopes of it getting here before the 16th.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah..I ordered my bumper at the same time as I ordered my phone. On the 15th. It is hopefully still waiting for me at my doorstep when I arrive home.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
i think people that got them already ordered them on the 15th i could be wrong though

I ordered mine on June 15 @ 1:15am and just received my bumper this past monday June 30th! Also, It was estimated to arrive July 1st - 2nd, so this was an early surprise!

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
i love the pics! good job! i wasn't at all interested in the white bumper but i think you might have changed my mind.

i did pick up the black case tonight since i'm just worried of future discoloration of the white bumper case and i'm assuming scratches will be more pronounced with the white one.

now i'm very careful but no matter how careful you are, scratches will surface no matter what. i'm definitely waiting on your input as far as how it stands up from everyday use but i might just have to place an order for the white one lol.

again great pics and thanks for sharing!

btw, if anyone wants a black bumper and are in the NJ area, the apple store in menlo mall in edison still had some in stock when i left. i think about 5 so hurry if you really want a bumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.