iPhone 4 and Windows XP - trouble copying large video files

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Moi un Mouton, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I regularly have one issue with my iphone 4 - the Scanner and Camera Wizard seems unable to copy large .MOV files from the phone to the PC.

Today I had nine to copy, and it did 7 of them fine, but on the largest two files it says it's copying, then it sits there with the progress bar on 100% for a couple of minutes, then gives an error message saying the picture could not be copied.

I can get them via Windows Explorer OK, but then I have to rename them which is annoying.

Does anyone else have this trouble, and does anyone know how to fix it?

2. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

There could be two issues going on here.

One: If the PC was not formatted as a NTFS volume, there is a 4GB limitation on file size.

Two: Windows file systems do not allow certain characters for file names regardless of the NTFS or Fat32 file systems. Any special characters for example *#<> and a few others can't be written to the disk.

Out of curiosity, how large are the video captures in .MOV format? I've even had some issues with DVD rips at high quality that when greater than 4GB, would not work in iTunes on my Mac (32 bit version in Snow Leopard) or my original Apple TV. I have yet to try again with the 64bit version on Lion.

It may be something simple to fix as more details unfold.