iPhone 4 Antenna Class Action Lawsuit Ad on my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saving107, Sep 15, 2010.

1. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just wanted to share with you guys this odd Ad that I got today on my iPhone wile using the Dictionary.com App. I find it strange that people are seeking damages for diminished value (or re-sale value) because of the antenna. I don't have an opinion regarding the lawsuit and its merits, but I just wanted to share.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gobes macrumors member

They offered full refunds or a (sort of) fix, surely this negates any claim?
    Only in america...

;)

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

Even if they win the lawsuit the users will only get 15 cents or something each. Mailing the check will cost more then the check amount.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

This sort of lawsuit isn't about providing compensation to the injured parties, it's about some scumbag lawyer trying for a jackpot settlement.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

That, and hopefully generating enough negative publicity to encourage Apple not to release products with major design flaws while pretending that the defective products work just fine.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Are you suggesting there hasn't already been enough publicity? :confused:

The only thing that will encourage Apple to do something is bottom line numbers. Want to send a message? Don't buy the product, or if you already bought it and it doesn't work for you, then return it. THAT is how you send a message to a manufacturer.

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agreed.

8. darkside flow macrumors 6502

You're dreaming if you think the lawsuit seeks to encourage Apple not to release products with "flaws." (I put this in quotes because, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a perfect product - especially with cell phones - and every product has many flaws)

These lawyers want Apple and every other company to create less than perfect products so they can keep on launching lawsuits that lean towards the fringe of legal competency.

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

oh believe me, theres a TON of negative publicity on this. People I know that know NOTHING about apple, their upcoming releases, products, how to use an iPhone, how to use a mac, or whatever....even THEY know about this whole antenna crap.

its everywhere.....

10. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the people that know nothing about Apple but everything about the "antenna issue" are also the same people who have never used an iPhone 4 and aren't aware that it's a very minor issue for the vast majority of the millions upon millions who have one.

11. saving107 thread starter macrumors 603

saving107

I agree.

My cousin still owns an LG Shine, and called me a few weeks ago because she finally wants to upgrade to a smartphone, and asked for my advice. She is debating between a Droid or an iPhone 3GS, she's afraid to get the iPhone 4 because of what she has heard on the news.

I reassured her that their is no antenna issue and that this story was just over blown by the media, and in the middle of this conversation, I muted her call 3 times and tried to initiate FaceTime due to my bad proximity sensor.

She has decided to go with an iPhone 3GS.

12. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

And yet Apple still sells them, still pretends everything is just fine, still treats users like 3rd graders who have never seen a cellphone before. I'm pretty tired of the cliche and trite "scumbag lawyer" thing, too. Perhaps those parrotting that rubbish should do some RESEARCH into the good, and there has been PLENTY of it, that class action suits have done. Only in the USA? Nope, pretty much everywhere else on earth that matters, too. Any more stupid, dismissive sayings that display more about your intelligence than those of the plaintiffs, lawyers, court systems, countries or Apple itself?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

I imagine you don't intend to do so, but you come across as some indignant, self-righteous putz. The oft-repeated "scumbag lawyer" cliché exists for a reason; it will only fade when the legal profession rids itself of the individuals whose actions keep the cliché alive. Does it apply to all attorneys? Of course not, only the immature would think a cliché defines the whole.

Back to the point: The simple fact is that unless there are willing customers ready and able to buy the product, no company can sell a thing, not even Apple. Despite all the negative press, they continue to sell iphone4's to willing customers. Those customers aren't dumb ignorant automatons; they've read the press, they've talked to their friends and associates, and they've made the decision to try the phone out and see for themselves. If it doesn't work out, they can return it.

Of course the class action suit process has done significant good in righting wrongs. I can think of several instances where it is only through the class action process that people were able to address their grievances. At the same time, no reasonable person can deny the not-insignificant abuses the system by lawyers who epitomize the "scumbag lawyer" moniker. Clichés persist for a reason.

It is my opinion that suing Apple over the antenna thing is an abuse of the class-action suit process. Where is the unavoidable injury and lack of redress? Those who purchased before the overwhelming media storm had the option of returning the phone for refund or being given a free case that solved the problem. Those who purchased after the media storm broke went in with eyes wide open and still had the option of returning for refund if it didn't work for them.

Could the product be better? Sure. Does it work as advertised? For most people, yes. Those for whom it doesn't have the ability to return the phone. No need for a class action suit. The only winners in such a suit would be the lawyers who bring it.

14. CDew macrumors member

Lawsuit Only Motivation for Apple?

Perhaps the question we should be asking is, "Does Apple need to consider addressing the attuniation problem now?" I believe the answer is "No", they do not need to. Do they want to? Read on.

It doesn't matter how much bad publicity was generated or whether "Death Grip" is a real issue, typical for smartphones, or significantly worse than on other smartphones. Apple is selling iPhone 4's as fast as they can make them. Demands trumps everything else.

So that leaves two resons why Apple might choose to address the issue: A desire to build the best products (i.e. reputation) and a desire to avoid litigation costs.

While I am sure that they want to build the best products they can, I don't see this urge being strong enough to prompt a hardware change for the iPhone 4. I would, however, be "shocked" if any future versions have the same problem. :eek:

As for avoiding litigation costs, they are certain to face them, but they will likely be so small compared to the revenue being generated or to the cost of revising the hardware before the next iPhone, that I seriously dobut Apple cares.

But what if the improbable happens and Apple quietly makes a hardware change for the iPhone 4? What will happen to the value of our iPhone 4s? Would you consider your phone less valuable than those with revised hardware? Surely any potential used iPhone 4 buyer will. That would give merit to class action suits just as "diminished resale value" has already been the basis for class action lawsuites for other products which are resold (e.g. automobiles).

This is the one reason why I think that Apple would not want to make a hardware change for the iPhone 4... or at least not admit to making one.

15. ikaveh macrumors regular

go get them law!! :p
    just because Apple iPhone is awesome and the best doesnt mean apple can give people any stupid Antenna.
    I know iphone is still the best but I want more than this damn antenna.