Iphone 4 antenna reception hindered by a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hackintosh Sr., Jun 12, 2010.

1. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Do you guys think since the iphone 4 is specifically designed with the antennas on the outer stainless steel edge that the signal will degrade when putting a case over the sides (like the bumper)? I used mroogle and looked a little in the accessory forum, but didn't find an answer.

Thanks!

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Probably no more than the current model. In fact since it's an external antenna, it will be better. But, I guess any case would hinder it a bit...on any phone.

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

+1

4. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a thread on polycarbonate vs. rubber vs. plastic or how much worse reception can be with cases?

Thanks everyone

5. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Since all of them are non-conductive, it would only depend on the density of the material. So the polycarbonate will more than likely have the most interference. (not noise interference).

The rubber case is less dense.

6. Badfoot macrumors 6502

What about a conductive sweaty hand with no case !

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

There should be no reception problems problems with any case as long as it is not metal. Rubber, plastic, glass etc have do not interfere with a transmitted signal. A plastic case with metal flake design could attenuate the signal slightly.

8. Badfoot macrumors 6502

But what about my big sweaty hand ?

9. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Holding your cell phone may in some cases boost your signal. Your milage may vary.

As for the case, you will not notice any signal degradation. I doubt that any companies would be ignorant enough to develop and market a metal case.

10. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I wasn't talking about blocking signals, I was concerned about how contact, direct and otherwise, would detune the antennas and hence their efficiency.

11. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple should supply free bumpers to overcome their antenna 'touchability' problem. Anyone agree?