iPhone 4 app icons pixelation issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by designernate, Jun 29, 2010.

1. designernate macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you have noticed some odd things with the pixelation of your apps. The new iPhone 4 has a beautiful display and because of this the older apps on your phone appear much worse than before (just compare the safari icon to your older 3rd party app it's noticeable )

I know this is a normal issue the developers just have to update their icon to support the higher resolution. However I've noticed a strange phenomenon where if you update or redownload a old app the greyed out image with the loading bar appears to be a hi res image until it installs where it reverts back to the low res....

Has anyone else encountered this? Try it and see if it happens to you.... Here's pics to show what I mean:

Attached Files:

2. PiesAndLager macrumors newbie

Me too

I've noticed this too! It's strange and annoying! I wish all the developers would update their icons.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

It is not high resolution when it is grayed out. It is probably the effect of applying the high-res gloss over the dimmed pixelated icon. This gives the effect you are seeing.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Never thought about that, but it makes sense.

5. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

That's not an issue The developers haven't updated their app icons yet, but they will in the near future. Notice that the Apple Apps (Safari, Mail...) don't have this issue, which means that they have been updated.

6. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

7. techluvr macrumors regular

I have noticed this particularly annoying phenomenon with the high res app icons when updating as well. Almost taunts you.

8. MacHanix, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

MacHanix macrumors newbie

Icon pixelization issue

It's not because of gray out. The application logo shows on the appstore list the same size and not pixelated, really clear. Only when you install, it pixelizes. But I don't know the reason, either.
    It's really annoying though. It ruins the general view.

Ex: Below you see the Messenger, Zaytung, My Point and Volume Free logos

:apple:

Attached Files:

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Did you just necropost? The last post was from over a year ago! :eek:

10. MacHanix macrumors newbie

Yeah you are right. I didint realize that, but there is any other thread about the issue? Or the issue resolved and I dont know?