iPhone 4 App Icons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AntonisCy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. AntonisCy macrumors regular

I have noticed that some apps i already own have different (updated) icons that dont exist on my phone (stuck with the old icons). I have deleted and re-installed these apps and still when the installation is finished, they revert to the older icons. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also some of the older apps that havent been updated with HD icons seem to have them HD in the App store. Cant Apple just force HD icons on these old apps, just like they appear in the App store? Yea im a bit of OCD.

Thanks

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What happens is the app developer does not just submit one version of the icon when they submit their application, they submit one that will appear in the App Store, one that will appear in the Apps section of iTunes (which is why these are different to the one that appears on the device's actual home screen at times), as well as the actual app icon for when it is installed on the device. It is the last one that the developer needs to make sure to include a HD version as well for it to not show up as blurry on the retina display. Seems kind of complicated how they need to technically submit the same icon at various sizes for different uses, would make more sense if they just submit one at a really large resolution and it's scaled down for smaller uses.

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

The sizes are:

512x512 - Computer App Store
    72x72 - iPhone 4 HD icon for Retina Display
    57x57 - Icon for older devices and iPhone App Store.

4. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

Actually

512 x 512px fior iTunes
    114 x 114px for iPhone4
    72 x 72px for iPad
    57 x 57px for older iPhones

If the developer doesn't include the 114 version apple automatically uses the 57px version.

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

6. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I have an icon (for the O2 app) that I'm pretty sure was hi-res when viewing it on the App Store on my phone but is lo-res on my home screen =/

7. outphase macrumors 65816

The App Store icons are based on the high-res iTunes art. The home screen is based on if the dev made a retina-compatible size.