iPhone 4 Apple Store availability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PkennethV, Jun 9, 2010.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    I'll happen to be in the US (California) on the 28th of June. With the launch date of iPhone 4 being on the 24th, what are the chances of the Apple store having them in stock on the 28th?

I'm not sure what the supply of them are usually like immediately after launch. Am I out of luck? After the 24th, are they going to be out of stock for the next two week so or something?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

June 24th availability means available in stores on that date ... assuming they haven't sold through all their preorders and they have quantities left.

3. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I understand that. To clarify, I guess what I'm asking is do they usually sell out in about 5 days? When do the shortages usually happen? Two, three weeks from launch date? Or are they usually totally sold out by the 25th? And if they do, how long has it taken, in the the previous years, for Apple Stores to restock?

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I do not think that anyone can actually answer this question. At this time, Apple knows that a lot of people are going to be purchasing iPhone 4. What they do not know is probably an actual number. They can predict a number, but that does not mean anything. People are really crazy and will pay anything for these phones.

They have been known to sell out in the past, but I believe they have been good in the last few years. It also depends on what store you are going to. I know that when I purchased the iPhone 3G, I called two different Apple stores that are within 20 minutes of each. One had a few hours wait and could not promise one to everyone, while the other store had about an hour's wait saying that they had a good stock amount.

You could always try to have it shipped to wherever you are going to be.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Given the hype and shortages of past launches, if you absolutely want one on that date, I would pre-order or order one online on launch day.

6. wishman35 macrumors regular

Every iPhone launch so far has seen a shortage on launch day and for the following week or two.

As far as I have seen it, AT&T and Apple will fulfill the preorders, blow through the remaining stock and then AT&T goes to their fulfillment orders where they can promise you a phone in around 1-2 weeks after you order it.

I wouldn't expect to find one in a store 5 days after it comes out.

Unlike the other releases, AT&T has pushed upgrades for 6 months worth of customers. Not only does this mean tons more people will be buying the iPhone 4 compared to the 3GS and 3G .. but stock is surely to be depleted

7. kheovnien macrumors member

for the 3G i don't remember them being sold out at apple stores but there were lines for miles. it's really not worth the wait of 3 hours to get a phone. just preorder or prepare for a lot of waiting in line or searching around.

8. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm...if I pre-order for store pickup, will they be able to hold it for me until the 28th or will they only hold it for launch day and if I don't pick it up then (which I won't be able to) will they sell it to someone else?

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I do not think Apple will, but you may be able to try AT&T. However, you also may not want to take your chances, go through with this, and then find out you were told wrong. :eek: