iphone 4 as ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Martyimac, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Tried searching, results found referenced the 3GS, checked the stickies, no joy.

So here goes, if I leave AT&T and keep the IPhone 4, can I use it as an ipod touch only? Some posts say as long as the phone was activated, I should be able to do so.

Has anyone done this or lead me to something that will tell me how to do it?

Thanks

2. CZK macrumors 6502a

Depending on your baseband you can unlock it.

If you quit at&t you can still use your iphone 4 as an ipod. You can HACKtivate it without any problem.

/topic

3. Frosty1 macrumors member

Yes u can use it as an iPod touch as long as it's already been activated. Which since uve used it already on AT&T then u should be fine.

Long as u keep the sim of AT&T even if it's deactivated then that way in case u upgrade or ever need to restore then you'll be good to as u can still activate the phone to use as an iPod touch.

Hope that makes sense, using the iPhone keyboard for this can be tedious haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. anetoiu macrumors member

anetoiu

I don't know why you don't want to unlock it to use on other carriers but I have a friend with a 3GS who used his iPhone only as an iPod until there was an unlock for it

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

if your under at&t contract be ready to pony up $375 ETF it's usually cheaper to use a Touch as a Touch sell the iPhone 4 you will have enough to buy a touch and cash in pocket or or money to pay the ETF. ;)

6. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Thanks for the one helpful answer to my question. I appreciate it.