IPhone 4 as iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FlashHead, Jun 12, 2010.

1. FlashHead macrumors regular

I love my iPod Touh 1st gen. It has held up remarkably well and it never leaves my pocket. However, with the release of ios 4 this year, there's finally a really compelling reason for me to upgrade.

What I want is all the features of the iPhone 4 without the phone, and in the thinner lighter iPod Touch form factor. The retina display, Facetime/front facing camera, 5mp camera with flash, 720 video recording (very nice feature for me), built in mic, gps, 3G (can I get data only for the phone, like I do with my iPad?), a4 chip, gyroscope...combined these features would make a pretty ideal iPod Touch.

So, I'm considering buying the iPhone without a contract as my new iPod Touch. Does anyone do this? I know the iPod Touch 4 will have some of these features, but I'm afraid it will be missing some of the more key ones.

I dislike wasting money of course, but the 700 dollar price tag for a is not a barrier for a device I will use absolutely every day for easily the next two or three years (I'm not one to upgrade every year for relatively minor improvements).

My question is...is there something I'm missing in my reasoning. Admittedly, I'm no expert and have never owned an iPhone for a variety of reasons. I've always preferred the size and weight of my iPod Touch to that of the iPhones I've handled, but the new iPhone is much closer and the feature list would keep me happy for quite some time I'm sure.

I am also going on a 2 month business trip to Korea in July (there right now) and would prefer to get the iPhone before then if I'm confident I'll be happy with that decision rather thuan waiting until September to see what the new model will look like. Getting to use it for that trip alone would be worth part of the extra price.
    Thank you for your feedback.
    P.S. Any thought on Skype video calls with front facing camera?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

In order to purchase the new iPhone4 and turn it on for use, you must be an AT&T customer. Whether you sign a contract or not. It is locked to AT&T.

3. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

I really hope the iPod Touch 4 is going to be just like the iPhone 4 but without the phone.

4. FlashHead thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind and would actually prefer a data plan, but getting a voice plan would be a complete waste of money for me. I'm out of the country six months a year and am covered the rest of the time.

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I'm not sure if that is possible. You can call AT&T and ask. I'm not sure to be honest. I'm leaning towards no though, because AT&T has made it clear you can't even buy an iPhone with a data plan. So I'm sure vice versa is the same.

6. FlashHead thread starter macrumors regular

I do to, but I think it's a pipe dream. If they had that option available I would pay a premium for it.

7. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

It can be done, I asked this on here the other day and actually found someone who did it on the 3g. You will pay the full amount and yes you have to sign up for the service, but as I was told you can cancel before 3 days and you will even get back the first months money.

You will be left with a glorified ipod touch, no calling no data, and no you can't just get data.

I plan on doing this as the cost for an ipod, ereader, and camera with video is almost the same without the great screen and I get one device to do it all. So it's not really that bad if you need all those devices.

Of course you can wait for the touch, but I'm not sure the touch is going to get a 5mp camera, you will probably only get a front facing cam..lol Apple always cripples the Ipod to keep the iphone as the top choice.

8. cowsrus macrumors 6502

until the iphone is released nobody will be sure as to if you can take a microsim out of an ipad and put it in the iphone for just data and vice versa

9. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

I am in the exact same position. I want the new iPhone 4 for everything that it offers - except for the phone (and the overpriced voice plan). I've looked around the web a bit and read MANY posts on MacRumors and it's my understanding that AT&T will not offer a data-only plan for the iPhone. Even with the month to month plan on a no-commitment phone they requre a voice plan.

There is this concept floating around that you can move an iPad 3G SIM card to an iPhone to get data service. It requires changing some APN carrier settings on the phone. Check out the info here:

http://hijinksinc.com/2010/05/14/using-a-micro-sim-in-an-iphone-3g/#comments

This has been tested on iPhone 3g and 3gs and using iOS4 Beta. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to get my hands on an iPhone 4 without involving AT&T in any way. My ultimate goal is to use my 3G iPad as a wifi device around the house (and other comfortable wifi environments where the iPad is easy to use) and the iPhone 4 in all the places where a pocket sized device makes more sense (bars, restaurants, sidewalks, etc.) and 3G is necessary.

Technically it might appear I'm trying to pull a fast one, but I don't think so. I'm willing to pay Apple full price for their device; AND I'm willing to continue to pay AT&T $30 a month to use their data service, but just in the device of my choosing. Everyone's making their money! I'm not even trying to get data on 2 devices for a single price. I could move the SIM back and forth between the iPad and iPhone (and luckily they're both micro sized), but I'd only be able to use 3G on one device at a time.

I think there's a 50-50 chance that the next iPod Touch will get 3G. Apple allowed it in the iPad, so maybe they're open to fiddling with the iPhone market after all. But the iPod is too close in size to the iPhone, which might scare them off the idea. I contend that people will not give up their regular cell phone line just because an iPod can suddenly connect to the internet over 3G. It's too bad we have to wait another 3 months to find out how much of the iPhone 4 will show up in the 4th generation Touch.

WalledMacGarden, if you cancel your service before 3 days do they not expect you to return the iPhone? I'm not sure how this works with the no commitment situation. It's my understanding under subsidized pricing they expect you to go 30 days (charging you a month's service, early cancellation fee, and your first born), which equals the full price anyway.

AT&T's exclusivity and rules = pain in the butt!

Ok, I'm done! :rolleyes:

10. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

But if the microsim switch is possible, what's the best way to get an iPhone 4 without AT&T blowing a gasket over not having a voice plan? :confused:

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

No

12. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

"No" you hope the next Touch isn't like the new iPhone; or No you don't think the next Touch will be like the iPhone?

I think there's definitely a market for more data friendly devices without voice plans. AT&T would benefit if more people signed up for their data plans, especially since data usage is obviously on the rise (evidenced by the loss of the unlimited plan). I actually don't think it would hurt anyone's bottom line, and it would make iPod Touch customers very happy to have the choice of wifi or wifi+3G (just like with the iPad).

In an earlier post I said it was a 50-50 chance that the next Touch would get 3G. I have this gut feeling it could really happen, so I'm bumping the odds up to 75-25 in favor.

And don't forget to let Apple know if this is something you want:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

13. FlashHead thread starter macrumors regular

We shouldn't have to runaround in circles like this. Why not just the new iPhone without the phone part as an iPod Touch HD, or deluxe. I would absolutely pay 600, or 700 dollars for it. Why should apple care if they sell iPhones or iPod Touches if they're margin is the same. Especially with multitasking coming, voice service will soon be a thing of the past. Is it apple's job to keep AT&T in business.

14. frjps macrumors member

What I'm trying to do...

I agree with the OP. I want to get an iPhone 4 to use as an iPod Touch. I have an Evo with Sprint with the hotspot feature so when I'm not in a wifi area with the iPhone, I can still use it with the wifi hotspot of the Evo.

So my sister-in-law has a 3GS but is not interested in upgrading to iPhone 4. I will have her buy the iPhone 4 for me, but I'm just trying to figure out how she can activate it so I can use it as an iPod Touch but then continue to use her 3GS. If I had the iPhone 4 delivered to her house, when I turn it on will it work as normal without the cellular service or does she have to actually activate it through iTunes?

15. Briview macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure there is going to be the T-Mobile option again within the first week or so after release (UNLOCKING). I'm going to try to do this and work with T-Mobile to see if I can get a Pay-As-You-Go plan on the iPhone since I'm in the same situation as some posters above (iPod Touch Usability > iPhone Price). Yeah.. there is that new MicroSIM... so going to have to manually cut out the SIM to the appropriate size by scissors or something... :p

Also, WalledMacGarden, I have heard about that 3-day thing... but a long while ago... like iPhone 3G times.... so maybe AT&T has caught up to it by now. Either way... I'm going to try my best to slip by without a contract, but with the $199 price using some sort of previous signing/former customer documentation.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just wait for the next Touch in September. I'm positive it will have a camera like it's litter brother nano.

17. skyehill macrumors 6502

Last years Touch should have had the camera from the 3GS but didn't. Don't ever count on Apple to do the smart thing.

18. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Sure, the camera would be nice, but it's not really what this thread is about (at least not for me.) We're trying to figure out how to use an iPhone 4 without a voice plan, but also enjoy all of its cool new features. If Apple doesn't add a SIM card to the next Touch then it's still a limited wifi only device. We know that there's exciting changes coming to the Touch this fall, but we also know that the PERFECT "Touch" is being released in 2 weeks!

19. lg2k7 macrumors newbie

It'll work but when you initially activate it does need a sim card and if you restore it same way. Not convenient at all. Now if we follow apples trend with the iPhone I'd say that the iPod touch is due for a nice upgrade as well. Just wait till September

20. FlashHead thread starter macrumors regular

Why would I want, or have to settle for A lesser video camera, when I can have 720, a 5 mp with flash and a front facing camera with face time not to mention gps, and all the other features the iPod Touch won't have, when i'm willing to PAY for them. I just don't want to have to pay for a service I don't want or need

Apple is a hardware company. Why won't hey just sell me their hardware?

21. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

why dont you just buy it without a contract?

22. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

no because they arent going to make a device almost exactly the same to another. not to mention you can already do the above and just remove all the minutes from the iphone.

also then you would need to make it thicker. and steve cant allow this. and then if you get the wifi only it would coast 500+ because att isnt gana take part of the price if you arnt with them.

23. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Because the no-contract deal still requires a voice plan.

24. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Couldn't have said it better myself!

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There are wants and there are needs. Sometimes the wants aren't possible, but the needs go beyond the realm of possibilities of requirement.